All reviews rooftop pool fun hotel valet parking cool theme great sitting area dorm room loud fan body wash unique decor street parking front desk fun vibe hotel tonight vcu campus bring my dog chain of hotels nice view of the city
Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

This hotel was nothing like I expected, but I mean this in a good way. I was blown away. I fell in love with the room decore and design. The quilty of service was great, and everything was very clean. Any issues that where mentioned on previous reviews must have been resolved, because I found nothing out of place. Being able to bring my dog at no extra cost to me was a dream come true. I would go on, and on about my expierience at this hotel but I would never stop writing, but I will end with one final compliment...I love the idea of a pet flag hanging on the door so that staff members know there’s a pet in the room. Nice touch :-)

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
GillianC1364, General Manager at Graduate Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2018

Thank you so much for the awesome review. We definitely do love the furry family members!

Reviewed 30 October 2018

Concept is fine. Execution is poor. Not up to high hospitality standards. It's run like a hotel run by real estate people who don't really get what hospitality means. They're not ready for prime time. Or prime prices. There are many other hospitality options close by that are better quality and better value.
Bathroom not cleaned in one of the rooms, even after multiple requests. Rooms were dirty. Dust everywhere. Shower was dirty and moldy. Tables in Café were dirty. Service in Café was very, very slow. Café food was pedestrian.
They buy into the marketing hype of the word "suite." If you call it a "suite" it ought to have a real wall separating the two areas. Not a pass through. Only the xx00 rooms are large (with 2 bathrooms. Which is good because you have an option when they don't clean one.) The other rooms are not very large.
The only bright spot was Ms Rainey at the Front Desk. She did her best with what she had to work with. But one person's professionalism, hard work and friendliness cannot make up for all the issues that arise.
We picked Graduate Richmond because of its proximity to Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). Next time, we'll stay a little further away and have a much better stay with much better value for the money.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for your experience and appreciate the detail you provided. Thank you also for recognizing Rainey, she is a gem!

Reviewed 30 October 2018

I stayed here last weekend for a family wedding. Rate was very reasonable at $131 plus tax and valet. Just before traveling, I incredulously read the reviews that complained about rooms not made up, dirty conditions, shortcomings of the food service, problems with the valet parking etc. Many were followed by a hotel response that apologized. Then, I got there. The hotel has a nice vibe, I had no issue parking, my room was nice.

Then one brother mentioned problems with parking, and another brother told me about not being able to get tissues and toilet paper. Both had problems with their rooms not being made up. We all had issues with the extreme shortcomings of the food service. So dramatic were the deficits of this place, I can’t believe it can survive. But, then I see the rate for the upcoming weekend is $377 a night...

Could you imagine paying that rate, and being told at 4 PM, “Sorry your room wasn’t cleaned today. All the housekeeping staff has left for the day, so there is nothing we can do.” Then, being told at 9 AM, “Sorry, we are out of biscuit sandwiches.”

We had a wonderful weekend at my daughter’s wedding, and the hotel did discount the charges for each of my three siblings. Yet, there is no way I would stay there again.

Room tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jim L

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for your experience and appreciate the detail you provided. I am glad we were able to discount your rooms to compensate for the experience.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

I picked this hotel for the low cost and location. Within walking distance to restaurants and bars. Can ride bikes since there are protective bike lanes across from the hotel. The staff was nice and the room was clean and quiet. In the lobby, there is a pool table, and some cool old school video game (such as pac man, frogger,etc) tables. There is a cafe/bar and places to sit and chill and plug your electronic devices. You can park on the street after 4pm for free. Between 10-4pm street parking is only for 2 hrs but if you don’t want to worry about finding parking in the evening, just park around 2pm and h
Just take Uber.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for the great feedback and for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

I was in Richmond for a quick business trip and we ended up staying at the Graduate. When I travel for business, I really focus on three things, safety, 24 hour room service, and cleanliness. Except for safety the Graduate didn’t measure up on room service (or even dining) and cleanliness.

From a safety perspective you can’t access the guest floors from the elevator without swiping your room key regardless of what time it is. It’s a great safety measure but you always need to have one hand free.

Dining is pretty much missing. There is a cafe / bar setup in the lobby that doubles for very limited food service. Getting drinks in the evening was easy. But breakfast was challenging. Two people were working the cafe and they were easily overwhelmed by the 10 or so people that were trying to eat. Ultimately I ended up with a coffee, bottle of water, and a pastry that they put into a styrofoam box with prepackaged utensils. So disappointing and very limited menu.

The room looked clean but as you looked more carefully there is no attention to detail. For example the prepackaged soap was in a soggy cardboard container since it was sitting by the sink. The shampoo, conditioner, and soap dispenser was out of conditioner. Hot water was virtually nonexistent. Our entire group complained about this issue.

If the Graduate is supposed to be like a high end dorm room from your college days then it’s probably close. But next time I’ll go back to a major chain hotel for its consistency.

Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for the feedback and for providing so much detail. This truly helps us with making guest experience better.