All reviews pope's summer roof terrace small balcony main piazza minute walk one way street yogurt two nights lovely hotel apostolic palace small street good sized bathroom papal residence clean rooms overlooks the lake park your car summer residence
Reviewed 26 July 2018

The hotel is charming, rooms are beautiful, breakfasts are excellent, what's not to like? The views over the lake are stunning, the pope's gardens are incredible and there are plentyof bars and cafes, serving soft drinks and many do a delicious gin and tonic.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Clean rooms that were well appointed, and a friendly staff that helped me with my Italian! I've stayed in quite a few European hotels and this was great because not only was a continental breakfast provided, but hot eggs, meat and fruit was available as well. Full size blowdryer in room, safe, and a neat stereo sound system in the shower! lol. We had a balcony room and the views were gorgeous! My only complaint was the website pictures had images of meals served on a terrace overlooking the lake which wasn't the case. It seemed to me that the terrace belonged to a separate restaurant not connected with the hotel. Every time we waked by, it was closed. I was sure that we would be having breakfast or at least one meal up there. I was disappointed. Seemed a bit misleading. I was looking forward to that the most. Other than that, great place.

Room Tip: gorgeous views
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2017

This is a lovely little hotel in the heart of Castel Gandolfo. It is quite small so I could hear all the noise from the hallways and breakfast service in my room - bring earplugs! The service feels very personal and all the staff were very helpful. I was in a town facing room but could see the lake from the side. The room was very clean with a good sized bathroom. I was there is October and they had already closed the rooftop terrace for winter but kindly opened it up for me to sit out on a hot, sunny day.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank NannyMcNadles
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed at Castel Gandolfo Hotel which overlooks the beautiful lake Albano. The flooded volcanic crator allowed for a very dramatic view from the balcony of my room. Hotel is well run, clean and boasts an excellent location close to Piazza della Libertà. Room was good but I had issues with my shower resulting in one star being missed on the rating. Nevertheless, I had a good stay rounded off by a hearty spread for breakfast. Scrambled egg & sausage offered in the warmer. Coffee is excellent! The staff were friendly and professional. In typical fashion one would expect in a small village like this the "short stay parking bay reserved for hotel luggage drop off" sign gets ignored by everyone, therefore don't stress, just offload in the middle of the narrow one-way street and drive off to park your car in a free spot along one off the quieter residential streets. Looking forward to my next stay on a future trip to the area.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Kev1409
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I highly recommend staying here if you get a room with a balcony overlooking the lake. The view is the only reason why this hotel stands above the rest. I don't understand their 4 star rating. There was NO JACUZZI or SMALL swimming pool or SPA services as advertised on their website.
Their cleaning ladies are super sweet and nice. Their other staff members seem to get bothered by guests presence and requests. They are not very nice and seem to make an effort to smile.
If you want a room with amazing views and great location this is the place. But don't expect anything spectacular apart from this.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Andrea P, Direttore generale at Hotel Castel Gandolfo, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear guest,

thanks for your review.
We want only to answer to some issues you mentioned:

- some rooms have jacuzzi bath, if you were searching for it, you could book a room with!
- swimming pool and spa: never published this feature! we don't have a SPA, why you are mentioning this trouble? we only have an outdoor jacuzzi on the rooftop in summer period. next time read better before to book and say false things.

All rooms are equipped with: LCD tv, sky sat tv with international channels and all languages, jacuzzi bath or turbo shower, minibar, A/C, lake view balcony (some rooms), phone, room service at any time, international breakfast included.
On top, 4 stars hotel are classified considering the location as first: boutique hotel in a so central location (10 seconds walking from main square and Pope residence) has their construction limits, so if you were searching for 100 rooms and 20 floors hotel, you could book away from historic center, but you will not be comfortable with services and location.
At the end, look at the price you paid and please say also this comment to all people are reading your review.

Thanks and looking forward to welcome you again,

regards