“great experiences”
Review of DiVentures

DiVentures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: State-of-the-art aquatic center offering year-round scuba and swim classes, plus trips to top diving destinations around the world. Large selection of dive equipment and accessories.Committed to safety and fun, DiVentures offers a variety of activities for kids, families and corporate groups. Stop by and learn more about the nation's largest scuba and swim center!
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I have enjoyed diving with the owners of Diventures on 3-4 occasions and found their services and demeanor very pleasant . All the staff and dive masters have been very attentive to my safety along with providing personalized training to add to my dive experience . This isnt a passive sport that one can take lightly and having a pro around to call out their concerns is inviting to me .
I would highly recommend DiVentures to anyone wanting top notch training and pure enjoyment.

Christinehughey, Manager at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for your review. We're so glad to have your recommendation. We always say that safety is our number one priority and fun is our number one goal.

All reviews
"instructor"
in 11 reviews
"hollies"

Reviewed 24 January 2018

I took a try scuba class ($75) and a scuba diving certificate course ($500) in summer 2017 through DiVentures North Liberty. I was going to take the course through PADI in Cedar Rapids. However, since I live in Iowa City and DiVentures is closer to me, I chose DiVentures. It turned out to be a biggest mistake. Here’s my experience.

1) The store operation was very disorganized. No one ever picked up phone calls, forcing me to drive there to get my questions answered. What ridiculous was that different staff gave me different answers for the same questions. One staff told another student the open water dive check began at 8 am in Cedar Fall, whereas it started at 9 am. My impression was that those staff had never been properly trained. In addition, no one ever informed me the schedule of classes and open water dive check. Only until the minute that the class started, I knew the schedule, interrupting all my own plan. The store only gave out the schedule at the last minute. Even worse, the store failed to follow its own last-minute schedule. The swimming pool reserved for the course was not open as scheduled. It asked us to meet at the swimming pool at 8 am on Sunday, had us wait outside of the swimming pool for 2 hours, and then told us it couldn’t find any personnel to open the swimming pool. The whole Sunday was ruined. I paid $500 and imagined getting a decent training, but solely get crappy experience.

2) It closed the store early without any notification, so I couldn’t return the rental gear when I arrived the store. After my open water dive check on Sunday, the instructor who is also the store manager refused to open the store and take the rental gear back in the same day. Therefore, I returned the gear next day at my earliest time possible. When I arrived the store, a note was posted on the door saying that the store had to close early due to staff illness. The open water dive check instructor/store manager knew that we are going to return gear that day. However, she didn’t email/message us the early closure of the store. I complained the early closure without notification to the CEO of the company. He said to me, “is it you first time to encounter a store closed early?” No wonder the whole store was disorganized. If the tone at the top is to deny the wrongdoing, it’s not surprising that the store doesn’t have any standard.

3) What’s worse. Its instructors made racial comments/jokes. In the incidence that no personnel opened the swimming pool for the class, the instructor shouted out loudly, “it’s more acceptable when white people screwed up”. I complained it to the CEO. He thought I just made up stories. If you are a people with color, think twice before you choose DiVentures.

Moreover, from its own staff, I learned that the retail price of DiVentures’ scuba gear is twice of the manufacturing cost. If you’re economical, think twice before making purchase from DiVentures. Check out cheaper equipment online. There are plenty available online. The class and open water dive check were so simple, and the depth was around 10 or 15 feet. You don’t need expensive equipment for it. If you plan to dive in ocean, there are plenty local dive centers to rent you a full set of equipment. Plus, scuba fin is too big to fit in a baggage. Also, ask around the dive level before you choose DiVentures. I learned it the hard way. After I received my scuba diving certificate from DiVentures, my friend who earned a certificate from PADI compared our certificate. Although both of us are certified for Level 1, mine allows to dive only up to 60 feet, but hers would allow up to 100 feet. It must be that DiVentures split the Level 1 course in PADI into 2 different courses, so it could charge students another couple of hundred bucks.

In sum, if you are new to scuba and want to have a pleasure training experience, stay away from DiVentures. Its disorganized operation, horrible leadership and racial discriminated instructors will ruin your scuba experience.

7  Thank Tex F
Christinehughey, Management at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Claire,
We are sorry you have apparently had so many negative experiences with DiVentures. As you know, we have attempted to resolve some issues with you and hope that can happen. We have also followed up on every issue you note in your posting. We are passionately committed to ensuring every customer experience is a great one. We encourage and welcome customer feedback. Obviously we love hearing when we delight our customers, but we also want to know when and how we can do better.
DiVentures Management

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I completed my classroom and pool sessions this summer with DiVentures (Dave Deitz, instructor) and just finished my open water dives with Marty Hannaford and Dave Wiegand. Every one was patient and professional and exhibited quality instructional practices throughout the entire process. Dean Hollis greeted me with a camera and a smile for a photo as I was walking out of the water on my last dives. The entire staff at DiVentures has been friendly and incredibly helpful. I'm looking forward to going on a dive trip with them, hopefully soon!

Christinehughey, Manager at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thanks Bill! We're so glad you had such a great experience and would love to go on a dive trip with you soon!
- Christine H, DiVentures

Reviewed 22 June 2017

We went there in April and May for swim lessons and decided to try cheaper classes for the summer at city pools. I regret my decision. Diventures quality is not comparable!!!

3  Thank BronsonandMaryL... G
Christinehughey, Marketing Director at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We're sorry to hear about the other swimming lessons. We're still here when you're ready to come back! Thanks again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I just wanted to thank DiVentures especially Dean Hollis, Chad and Janna Bender, for instructing our daughter Kelley back in High School 4 years ago to become scuba certified. With your dedication to teach and too bring the best out of your students by giving spot on education, safety, and confidence Kelley has taken up this activity in so many ways. She carried this to Iowa State and joined the scuba club, took some dive trips thru the Iowa State and even had a chance to help teach future astronauts who come to a program at Iowa State in their aeronautical engineering program. She helped with these students use scuba to learn about having the feeling of “weightless” in space but in the pool. She also helped the local law enforcement scuba team and dive with them retrieve a vehicle that was stolen and sunk in a lake, nearby Ames (her first professional dive job )

I had one of the greatest father/daughter moments by going diving with her this past year in Florida and we had a fantastic time and she was confident, well prepared and had safety on her mind during the dive adventure we had. It made me proud to be her dive buddy and look forward too many more dives. She now has been studying abroad in Tasmania for this past year and with the semester ending and before she returns to the good old U.S.A she is going with and college friend and going on a 3-day dive adventure in Australia on the Great Bearer Reef……I am jealous but again Scuba has opened up her opportunities and life adventures along with meeting other very nice people. She has learned about the delicate balance of the ocean thru her dive experiences and because of the teaching of Dean, Janna, and Chad she has a life time recreational activity and more adventures ahead. Again, and as a proud father I cannot thank you all enough.

I also want to thank Ted F, Pat P, Frank W, Katy R, to me some of the “old core” staff for taking care of our other daughter, my wife and myself with are your help and education with opportunities to continue to learn and improve.

Other staff and new faces which also have been a big help and have done an outstanding job include Abbiey, Jordan, Kevin, and Nick. I apologize if I missed anyone else but DiVentures has been and still is a fantastic, family friendly, organization and we are truly lucky to have a facility and group of staff in our area to learn from and a facility so comfortable to use.

God Bless you all!!!

Pat and Susan McClaughry
Omaha Nebraska

2  Thank Pat M
Christinehughey, Marketing Director at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Pat,
Thank you so much for your review. We are so appreciative of your family's trust in us. Kelley is a great example of how diving can open up a world of opportunities that aren't otherwise possible. We have a great community and family of divers here and we love that we get to know people like you.
Thank you!
Christine, DiVentures

Been to DiVentures? Share your experiences!