“Eye-opener into bush pilots of Alaska.”
Review of Lake Hood Harbor

Lake Hood Harbor
Ranked #19 of 177 things to do in Anchorage
More attraction details
Owner description: With Lake Spenard, to which it is joined by canals, Lake Hood is considered to be the largest floatplane harbor in the world.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Really brings to the forefront the importance of light aircraft in Alaska. Loved seeing the float planes at their moorings and the little sheds for storage at each mooring.

All reviews
"public park"
"bush planes"
"entire lake"
in 3 reviews
"planes coming and going"
"takeoffs and landings"
in 8 reviews
"taxiing"
"roadway"

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Following suggestions from here, we bought McDonald's for breakfast and went to watch the planes. My GPS in the car didn't take me there. :(. However, I could see the lake so I just drove without GPS. I had a difficult time finding parking. We parked at the museum but it wasn't a great viewpoint. We ate there and then drove more. When I got to "marina" I just parked at the dock at the very end. I'm. Sure I'm not supposed to. There was no plane docked there and no one came and asked me to leave. We stood outside by the water and watched planes for about 30 minutes. I was more excited than my kids (story of my life)

1  Thank FunMom4Boys
Reviewed 22 June 2018

We saw so many float planes taking off and landing. Never dreamed so many small planes could be in one place. Beautiful unspoiled area.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

I love Lake Hood. A true gem located in Anchorage. Great place to visit with the kids and watch all types of airplanes land on both the lake and gravel/dirt strip as well. Hundreds of planes take off and land on a daily basis. Drive completely around the lake and observe the uniqueness of Lake Hoods aerodrome complex. Parking near the AK DOT building off International Rd is a great spot to see float planes land and take off from Lake Hood. Check out the Alaska Aviation Museum and/or take a Segway tour around lake during summer months. I usually try to drive through the backside of Lake Hood and then proceed over to Earthquake Park and Point Waranzof to check out the commercial aircraft landing or taking off from Ted Stevens International airport.