“GREASY Spoon”

Ranked #71 of 914 Restaurants in Anchorage
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

My breakfast brought a new meaning to greasy spoon. Had to absorb the grease from my sausage which was only half cooked, my plate was covered with grease. Would not go back.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

This was a small diner with a quirky atmosphere. The halibut sandwich was great. Crisp texture and good flavor. My husband had the halibut and chips as well as their chowder. He enjoyed both very much.

Reviewed 23 June 2018

I checked out The White Spot Diner. I found the spot on TripAdvisor and decided to check it out. The place is a bit small but has a real cozy feel. The staff are outgoing and very friendly. I decided to try the halibut sandwich and ordered a vanilla milkshake on the side.

For the sandwich, the halibut wasn't too bad. The short order cook floured, breaded, and fried the halibut right in front of you. It was done just right, not too greasy, not overcooked. The halibut is served with lettuce, tomatoes, and coleslaw. The buns however didn't come off as gourmet whatsoever. Honestly, I believe it was just your typical Wonderbread non-sesame seed bun. It wasn't toasted either. The sandwich is served with a serving of fries. For $16, I would expect a bit more culinary flare. As for the milkshake, it was mediocre. A little too thick in my opinion. I can only equate it to a high school kid working weekends, so maybe he hasn't got it down quite yet. All together my $21.00 for halibut sandwich and a milkshake. Now I know seafood isn't cheap, but given the portion of halibut served $9 to $11 would seem a more fair price.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for breakfast one morning and loved it. Small diner with friendly staff. Good hot food fast. Lots of locals and tourists alike. Reasonable prices & convenient to lots of downtown shops.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

Most people who are not "in the know" will just pass this by. It is a simple storefront with hand-written signs and an oddity of stickers in a row of shops. Our daughter has lived in Anchorage for almost 15 years. If we could eat at only one place - this is it. The halibut sandwich is fresh. If you are vegan, gluten intolerant people, skip it. If you are a cruise ship tourist that wants sophistication, skip it. If you are down-to-earth, friendly and like GREAT fried fish, this is your place.