“Skip the train and join this tour!”

Trail of '98 Tours - Private Skagway Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Skagway Tours and Excursions with Trail of '98 Tours. Enjoy the comfort and privacy of your own van / mini-bus on you Skagway Alaska Private Tours. You have the owner/guide and private bus on your Skagway Alaska Private Excursions sightseeing tour. Follow the historic trail of the 1898 Gold Rush over White Pass Summit into Canada's Yukon Territory. Enjoy the majestic scenery and search for goats, bears, and other wildlife while travelling the Klondike, one of North America's most scenic highways en route to the historic town of Carcross. Options include a visit to a wildlife gallery museum with Iditarod dog musher camp, dog cart rides, gold panning, a stop for lunch, and even explore the world's smallest desert. Approximately 150 miles roundtrip for your Skagway Private Tour.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was on a Princess Cruise and instead of going on one of their excursions, choice this private tour and it did not disappoint! Tom was our guide and we could immediately feel his passion as a guide and his immense knowledge of Skagway and the surrounding areas. We did not feel rushed like a large motor-coach tour with 50+ people. Also, the train is very expensive and you don't get any stops!

Getting on and off was easy in our small, but spacious 20-seat van. Tom was excellent at spotting wildlife (bears, dall sheep, bald eagles, etc.) and was consistently backtracking to make sure we had the best looks!

The highlight of the tour was stopping at a husky dog kennel and getting hands on with the puppies! We must have spent 2 hours there without any rush...

2  Thank davidywoo
"naked eye"
in 5 reviews
"sled dog camp"
in 15 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 20 reviews
"dahl"
in 6 reviews
"cruise ship"
in 31 reviews
"an excellent tour guide"
in 9 reviews
"clean windows"
in 4 reviews
"spot wildlife"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The absolute highlight of our family's Alaskan cruise vacation was our private tour from Skagway to the Yukon led by Tom Strand of Trail of '98 Tours. Tom's love of the region and immense knowledge of its history made for a wonderful learning experience as we departed Skagway to follow the White Pass Trail as many adventurers had followed before us during the Alaskan Gold Rush. Tom was incredibly patient and was always willing to stop anywhere we wanted and to stay as long as we wanted. Highlights of the day included watching a mama black bear and her cub eating dandelions along the side of the road, visiting the sled dog camp of Iditarod musher Michelle Phillips (and playing with the adorable puppies!), and gazing at the spectacular mountain vistas from atop a sand dune in the Carcross Desert. The scenery was truly amazing! Tom gave us a great background on the gold rush and the tremendous difficulties faced by the miners as they trekked along the White Pass Trail from Skagway in search of their fortunes. He also knew the names of every lake and mountain, and could spot a mountain goat from a mile away! The advantages of Trail of '98 Tours over other shore excursions - such as rides by railroad to the summit of White Pass - are innumerable. Tom is willing to tailor your private tour to accommodate your particular interests and abilities, and my family could not have been more pleased. I highly recommend this tour to anyone looking for a great shore excursion from Skagway!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Tom was simply outstanding in every way, regaling us with tons of interesting factoids both coming and going. He did not rush our family group of 13, which was great because we're an inordinately curious bunch, and he complained nary a bit that our adventurous spirit helped contribute to a 10-hour trip. The perfect weather and amazing vistas certainly enhanced our overall experience, but Tom's friendliness, patience and generosity played a huge role in making this such a memorable day for us all.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Alaska and the Yukon area of Canada have been at the top of my bucket list since I was a child. So when we decided this was the year for it, I knew I needed some over-the-top experiences to feel like we had gained the most from it. My husband and I took the Emerald Lake Tour on June 20, 2018. When we booked the trip, which was recommended by a friend, we had other people traveling with us to split the cost. When they canceled traveling with us due to medical issues, we considered canceling the tour. The customer service we had received from the owner, Michele, had been first class. She was very quick to respond and thorough in answering my questions, so I felt we were with a great company, but an all day private tour for just two people? My friend told me to suck it up, and she assured me it would be the highlight of our vacation.
I was skeptical. We were on a cruise with so many things planned. I couldn’t imagine how this was going to be mind-blowing! Boy was I wrong.
First of all, we were impressed that even though we got off the ship early, there was Michele with a sign waiting for us. She has the most pleasant personality, and you could see her bubbling with excitement to get going. The van was immaculate, sharp looking and had a great speaker system, so we could hear her.
THIS WAS THE BEST EXCURSION OF ANY WE’VE EVER TAKEN BY A LONGSHOT! It was a grand slam, hat trick, slam dunk, Triple Crown… all rolled into one.
Michele knew where to zig when others zagged. Even though there were a bazillion people being loaded onto buses as we came off the ship, we never got caught in the crowds. Michele answered all 100 questions I threw at her and gave us an amazing history of the Yukon area. And wildlife, oh my gosh… We saw bears…. SIX of them in three different places including a mother and two cubs. Michele knew just where to look. She spotted mountain goats up in the mountains and whipped out her scope and set it up for us. She turned around while driving just to show us what a marmot was. The views absolutely made me want to cry! She could name every lake, glacier, waterfall, and region we came to. We found the suspension bridge to be mesmerizing, the two dogsled camps were delightful, Emerald Lake was enchanting, and just the vast knowledge of information was engaging!!
Michele was well prepared too! Bug spray, extra binoculars, wet wipes, bottled water…. There was not one need we had that she couldn’t accommodate including clean restrooms!
Her love for the region was so apparent, and her excitement describing what was to come had us literally on the edge of our seats. She never tired of the many, many stops we asked for to take pictures. I’m an English teacher, and I honestly can’t think of enough adjectives to describe this tour! Book it EARLY as I think it’s not a secret. Just PLEASE don’t book it the day I need it when I come back. Because I WILL be coming back!

1  Thank Crocker11