“A great place to relax”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Office
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Dale M
“A great place to relax”
Reviewed 25 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

My wife and I spent a week at this wonderful little cottage tucked away on the side of the hill above Kona. Although only a few miles from the beach and all the amenities of Kona the well manicured grounds provided peace and seclusion. There are papaya and avocado trees as well as a multitude of tropical plants and flowers. Besides a fountain there is a BBQ and hot tub - both in excellent condition. The water in the hot tub is changed with every new guest. The cottage faces west and we enjoyed watching the sunsets over the water in the evening. In the mornings we enjoyed a variety of tropical birds on the property and the occasional mongoose.

The cottage itself is well maintained , immaculate, and well stocked with toiletries and supplies. We found it to be super clean and we were surprised at the lack of insects inside the house. (We lived in the tropics for three years and always seemed to battle the bugs). Christine, the owner, is a gracious hostess with an incredible eye for detail. We arrived at the cottage to soft music playing on a radio, a bottle of wine, fresh flowers from her garden and a nice welcome note with her number if we needed anything or had a question. Both bath and beach towels are provided in adequate numbers and there are even beach toys if you didn’t bring your own.

The cottage is secluded yet very conveniently located. It takes about 10 minutes to drive to the stores including a great Costco. A couple of miles further and you can enjoy the beaches, nightlife, and restaurants of Kona. It's roughly the same to get to hwy 190 to go north and west or hwys 19 11 if you're taking a southern route.

The owner was very responsive and it was evident that her first priority was that we enjoyed our stay on the big island. She lives nearby and is available if needed but respects your privacy. We will definitely go back to Mango Cottage when in Hawaii.

27 Sep 2016
You both were a joy to have, I hope to see you again, I am sure the Lilikoi did it....thankyou
Neraj K
“WARNING: Biting Ants in Kitchen/Bed, expect no refund if any issues with 'cleanliness' in line with TripAdvisor policy.”
Reviewed 24 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

My Wife and I booked this property for 2 nights during our Honeymoon.

We found the property full of Ants, in the Kitchen and around the Bedroom. We tried to make the best of a bad situation by cleaning up all dishes before we used them and thought we'd be fine if we kept ourselves covered by the duvet.

Unfortunately the next day my Wife and I were covered in bites Head to Feet, these flared up and I had to visit a local Pharmacy to get Antibiotics. We couldn't stay another night here...so unfortunately had to book stay at the Royal Kona Resort, at additional expense and inconvenience.

Out of courtesy, my Wife and I cleaned the property and hesitantly left a nice message in the Guestbook. We were willing give this place a 2nd chance and pay a visit again some day. We regret this, as this same courtesy was not shown to us!

Christine the owner was absent at the time, but her Husband Bob was around. I showed him the Ants in the property and the bedroom, at the time he was very shocked apologetic and said he'd look into getting us a refund and would speak to his Wife, we should expect a call/email the next day. In addition, I recall Bob also said 'Nobody should have to stay in such conditions' and said he'd get exterminators around AGAIN! (so a repetitive problem it seems).

We received no communication, only after chasing after 2.5 weeks later did we receive feedback. Christine did not offer a refund, instead insisting the Ants do not bite...and said we can have 2 nights free the next time we stay.

Would you sleep in an bed with Ants? Even IF they did not bite?!?!

This is a lousy excuse and offer as I live more than 7,000 miles away and do not expect this to be honoured at all when I next return. I wanted my money back atleast for the 1 night we did not stay. My calls were not returned. I did catch Bob on the phone once and he shamefully fobbed me off and said 'speak to my Wife'.

To sum it up, Christine wrote in an email 'The cancellation policy with tripadvisor is what I follow', meaning she takes no responsibility for cleanliness of Mango Cottage.

DO NOT stay here, Onion house is down the road and is much nicer.

We are just Tourists they'll never see again, they'll take your money and run.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked least: Ants all over the property, inside the bed that bit me and my Wife all over. No refund given, the owner does not take responsibility for 'cleanliness' in line with TripAdvisor policy.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
2 Sep 2016
Dear Neraj,
To quote your departing written review of mango cottage,
"Mango Cottage is beautiful and we enjoyed our stay".
To quote your email 12/2015,
"I have enjoyed reading the positive reviews and would like book for 2 nights".
You spoke of wanting to revisit and bring your father,
I offered you 2 free nights at Mango Cottage.
You left nice feedback and thanked me the the bottle of wine and that you enjoyed your stay at beautiful Mango Cottage.
I have no idea why you wrote this? There are 27 reviews along with yours...Not one is anything close to your's. I take great pride is giving my guests a beautiful space with fragrant flowers and peaceful gardens.
Mango Cottage reviews talk about the Cleanliness and comfort.

I cannot control responses as yours Neraj, Iknow I have never had ants as you speak of nor ants bites covering your body....Are you sure you did not have "Hives".
Thankyou for staying at mango cottage, your 2 free days are on file.

Aloha,
Christine
joecycleg...
Imperial, Pennsylvania
“Great vacation rental”
Reviewed 14 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

We stayed 5 nights at Mango Cottage. The house is well-equipped and in a quiet area above Kona. Very private and peaceful. The owners have thoughtfully provided beach gear (towels, chairs, umbrella, goggles, snorkels, fins, and coolers) and left us a bottle of wine and a box of macadamia nuts!. Although it's out of town, it's not remote. There's a coffee plantation that does tours only 15 minutes away, and the house is close to the highway that goes to Waimea and to Mauna Kea observatory. Costco is just down the hill and downtown Kona is only about a 15 minute drive. Lots of local wildlife - geckos, chickens, pheasants, and even turkeys wander the forested area around the neighborhood.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Peaceful setting
Liked least: No complaints.
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
15 Jun 2016
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay at mango cottage. You are welcome anytime! Wonderful guests indeed!
Gayle L
Pasco, Washington
“Lovely place to stay and REALLY well stocked”
Reviewed 8 November 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

You feel as if you are completely alone -- yet you are in the middle of the city and close to everything. Every tiny think you can think of is in the cottage for your use and the bed is sooooooo comfortable. The owners are lovely people and seem to really care that things are in good shape and their guests are well taken care of...LOVED the fresh fruit in the morning...would highly recommend this place.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: There was not one thing that was just "OK" -- it really was amazing
Liked least: Everything was just so pleasant
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
15 Jun 2016
Thank you for all the lovely appreciation, you are always welcome here at mango cottage.
Sarah F
“This place was amazing!”
Reviewed 16 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

My husband and I stayed here the last week of our honeymoon and had the best time. LOVED the Mango Cottage, so private, beautiful and peaceful. The owner was so nice and helpful and had everything you could think of stocked in the house. We hope to come back and stay agian!!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
15 Jun 2016
Thank you thank you, we look for ford to seeing you again!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;