See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 May 2018

A budget lodging need not be FILTHY, but this one was just awful. See pictures. Bath and bath mat full of dirt - literally. Air conditioner filter full of dust bunnies and hadn’t been changed for years, coffee stains on sticky phone and the pool bottom was so black, it was dangerous to enter – unless you’re ok with fungus and disease. Beyond the overall filth, the air-conditioner did not work, the beds are really worn out and old, breakfast revolved around oatmeal with white bread and cut pineapple.
I pre-paid through hotels.com for a partial view room but could not convince the front desk to give me the room-type that I reserved. I asked to speak to the manager and was told that it was their day-off. I sent the manager an email and did not receive a reply.
Although this is a budget hotel, it still cost over $140 per night and I would expect it to be clean and the air conditioner to work, especially, when you could not open the windows because the VOG is so thick. Avoid this hotel at all costs – especially if you pre-pay and the town is too crowded to switch accommodations. Or, avoid the Big Island in general as the vog makes the entire experience unhealthy and quite ugly. The vog is so thick, you cannot even see the sun during a sunset…or even know there is a sunset – it just gets darker.

Room tip: Go to another hotel...for $10 more, the air conditioner will work and it won't be filthy.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Jessie M, Guest Relations Manager at Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Aloha,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us at kona bay hotel. I can assure you that we take all guest requests and concerns seriously, and would love to speak with you further regarding this issue. As I am the one who would receive any emails from guests, I can assure you that I did not receive any email from you regarding this issue. If you would like to resend it to reservations@unclebilly.com, I would be more than happy to assist you with these concerns.
Our staff are trained to room move all guests who are dissatisfied with their rooms, and I am confident that they would have followed protocol regarding your issues if it was brought to their attention.
Please contact us directly if you wish to address this issue, as I would be more than happy to speak with you regarding your concerns during your stay.

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

All of the reviews are right. If you are okay with a few bugs (small cockroaches), a musty smell, dirty room, missing items (remote, towels, shampoo/conditioner, and some used soap in the shower from the previous guest this place is for you. We KNEW our stay at Uncle Billy’s was not going to be anywhere close to good. But we chose to stay here anyway due to the cost. And honestly we would do it again due to the location and price.

Pluses: the front desk ladies are very nice. Location is great. Price was cheap.

They have breakfast, but we weren’t interested

Buyer beware,If your only sleeping here, not a bad option.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crystal N
Reviewed 11 April 2018

Check in is at 3 we didn't get our room till after 5, it was the worse experience ever. It was our Anniversary, we were told that since we waited so long they would be happy to give a discount when we checked out they looked at me with a bizarre look as though I made the discount up. The room was stink of mold and the floors were filled with roaches when asked to be set up in another room there response was there isnt one available.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Melony T

Aloha Melony,

I am terribly sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay at Kona Bay Hotel. It is always sad to hear when a guest is displeased with their stay. I can assure you that all care is taken to ensure a guest is pleased with their room, and should a guest be unhappy, a room move to another room is standard procedure. After reviewing your reservation, I cannot find any notes regarding your concern with the hotel or room. We often find that guests will not contact staff or management regarding their stay while they are in the hotel, but just leave with a bitter experience and even bitter review. All hotels seek to please each and every guest, and I do hope that you will contact us regarding your stay here. You can call us at 808-961-5818 or email us at reservations@unclebilly.com.

Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

On the main street with all shops, restaurants and trolley that stops in front of the hotel. Just $2 for a trip around the town. You really do not need a car .Nice location with a farmers market just 1 block away.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank 283paulettep

Aloha Paulette,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review. We greatly appreciate hearing from our guests, and take pride in providing each and every one of them with excellent customer service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

We were unable to get our flight out on a Fridaynight, so got a taxi from the airport to the nearest hotel I knew in Kona, the Seaside Hotel ( I stayed ere for week - very good, clean etc). Unfortunately, there was only place that at 2am had a room and that was Uncle Billy’s.
Even though we were the only people at checkin, and the lady was friendly, it took 20 minutes to check us . Once in the room, we were greeted by many many cockroaches running around everywhere. The room was dirty, but the bed linen was clean and the bath looked ok. The balcony had not been cleaned for a very long time and the door did not shut properly.
Thor ext morning, I went down to reception, as the room phone did not take 808 numbers to rebook our flights. The desk said that they weren’t able to print anything off for us, despite offering to pay.
Breakfast was tinned tangerine segments , cereal and toast. Very basic and over by 9am.
We had to pay $169 for this experience and it was particularly galling, as we had only just left the fabulous Paniolo Greens in Waikoloa, paying less per night!
If you wish to stay in Kona, choose the Seaside Hotel as it is basic, but clean and lovely and the breakfast vouchers at Splashers are excellent. Unless you have a real love of all things scuddy and creepy crawly, I really wouldn’t go here.

Room tip: None - choose another hotel
Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Aloha,

We are terribly sorry to hear that your experience was unpleasant. I can understand how tiring it must be to check into a hotel late at night, and to be displeased. After reviewing your reservation, it appears you never contacted our staff regarding your displeasure, and as such, we were unaware and unable to ameliorate the issue. If you had contacted our staff regarding your concerns, we would have easily room moved you to a room that suited your needs. I am terribly sorry for this unfortunate mishap. Often guest's choose to not complain during their stay, then they leave a review, and unfortunately, it is too late for us to fix the issue. We would love to speak with you regarding this issue, and address any concerns you may have regarding your stay here with us.