All reviews ocean front poke shack sea turtles ceiling fans in every room full kitchen no air conditioning washer dryer through vrbo master bedroom oceanfront condo cooking utensils boogie boards spinner dolphins sliders king bed beach chairs lava rock
Reviewed 8 March 2018

We had unit 352 for 10 days (mountain side, 3rd story, no elevators). The website says they provide clean linens and housekeeping for stays over 7 days, but no one ever came. Having a kitchen with some cooking items (pots, cutting board, knives, colander, dishes, utensils...) was handy with 2 kids in tow and eating a few meals a day in the room. The room also had a stacking washer and dryer which was very handy, but according to the front desk person, is not usual in the rooms. We bought some tide pods because there was only soap in the room for one wash. The place was clean enough but everything fairly old and basic with signs of wear and tear. The cabinets could have been made and painted by a middle-school class. The fold-out-sofabed would only be tolerated by little kids. This is okay for basic home-base for an adventure elsewhere but certainly not if we came for a special getaway. Despite the large gap under the door where we placed a towel at night, no critters were found in the room. There were cockroaches seen outside (and geckos, hopefully eating the vermin). Homeless people are living in the bushes out back of the condo and drunken yelling at night along with dogs barking and all night rooster cockadoodling was not uncommon. This being said, lots of undeveloped bushy areas in Kailua-Kona seem to have homeless people in them. If you don't want this, stay at one of those fancy ocean-side resorts with a wall and security booth at the front. The location on Alli'i drive makes it fairly easy to get around by heading north or south to various attractions. The nearby Kahalu'u beach had great snorkeling and good for the kids. The pool is within the block of condos on the ocean side of Alli'i drive, (not in the mountain side unit). This has the benefit of the mountain side being quieter in the day, as you don't hear sounds of people in the pool. There are no towels at the pool and you have to bring your own. There was a wifi router in the room.

Room Tip: Mountain side rooms have no elevators -stairmaster!
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank TravellinNortherner
Reviewed 3 March 2018

First off, Samantha who checked us in was awesome!! Very nice and professional:)

We payed about $228 per night in a unit that felt like it should cost $89 per night, I'm not kidding.
Not worth the price at all for the unit we stayed. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one it was. Ocean view was awesome. No AC but it was windy the whole time so it was ok.

Older, run-down property and unit but still as expensive as much nicer places. The unit we stayed in did NOT look like reality. Kitchen utensils, pots and pans were dented or burnt. Screen door was broken. Fold out couch bed was terrible!! My brother and I traded off on the couch bed and whoever got that instead of the Queen bed did not get a good nights sleep. Right on the water with sea turtles on the beach in front, great surf break within walking distance. Just wasn't worth the price by a long shot.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 2 March 2018

Our stay was from 2/1-2/15 18. When we arrived the receptionist was not very friendly or helpful. When we got to our unit (321) we just kind of looked at each other. My husband went to open the screen to the Lana’i and it was falling off the tracks. He fixed that. We had a 2&2 unit. So, I go to take a shower before dinner and there is no hot water. There was a grab bar in that shower which was nice for me, because I have Neuropathy. Well, I never got to use that shower again. We told them about the proble, but we got a song and dance about fixing it. I had to use the other shower, but bought a bath mat so I wouldn’t slip. Every shower was a nightmare for me. Cooking utensils were limited at best. We even had to buy a colander for pasta. The pot had no lid. No wet mop to clean the filthy floors. We always had to wear a pair of shoes or sandals. It was ugly! Door in guest bedroom would not shut, because the bed was blocking it. The mattress’ were very poor and we woke every morning with back aches. The furniture was old. Heavily used and abused. The refrigerator had rust on the door. The washer and dryer are ready to die. The manager came up once and we showed her how filthy everything was. She said she would send someone up the next day go clean. No one showed of course. So no hot water in one bathroom, hard awful beds and a filthy condo. My pillowcase smelled of dirty hair like they had not been washed.
There was no lighter to start the BBQ. Just a horrible experience.
The only good thing was the views, sunsets , the turtles and listening to the waves. The BBQues were very nice also.
We will not be back and will never recommend this resort to anyone.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mccall84
Reviewed 25 February 2018

The view from our room (302) was phenomenal. I loved listening to the waves and waking up to seeing the ocean, but having to room with cockroaches was AWFUL! We complained to the front desk on three different days about this issue. The first lady, Malia, was very sweet and tried her best to make us feel she would take care of it. The other lady (I don't remember her name) was NOT kind. She had an attitude that she could not care less. I never was able to really fall asleep there. The place really does need some maintenance and a very deep cleaning (and lots of poison). But I enjoyed the view and Da Poke Shack. We will not be returning to this resort and urge you to consider other places before spending a lot of money on this place.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Jann M
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

260 unit older condo project, 60 units managed through front desk. Units are individually owned, so each unit is different, on cleanliness and condition.
“Mountain View” means across the street (walk up units, no elevator) and pending if you’re in building #4 or #5, your view is of Ali’i main road.
Our unit #341, building 4,@$200/ night, was over priced.
Window style AC unit in living room only.
Unit flanked by Main Street and parking lot. This owner has done a few upgrades, however stove and microwave will need fixing/ replaced soon.
One of the neighbours named their WiFi connection “f**kwhitepeople” (without the **). So we were not sure, if we were dealing with someone a mental problem or alleged sense of humour. We brought this up with front desk, but Miss “M” was not too concerned.
Positives, great location close to town, Banyan Mart “next” door, main unit is on water, with nice little grass area for evening sunset watch, 2 BBQ’s overlooking water, some beach area, turtles out front (don’t ask front desk about turtles, they get cranky, heck usually cranky) swim pool is OK in Center of main unit.
We will not return. Definitely overpriced for what you get, with no one to voice concerns too. (Or who cares).

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple