Reviews (3 267)
3 267 results
2 776
2 776
All reviews outdoor shower king's pond palm grove eagle ray cultural center beach tree pool swim up bar golf course ulu restaurant adult pool cold towels the big island quiet pool moment you arrive beach house ice water our honeymoon
806 - 811 of 3 267 reviews
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

For those of you that price is not much of a barrier this place is the best place on the Big Island of Hawaii to stay. Fly into Kona and rent a car.
From the understated elegant Hawaiian decor in the reception area to the private outdoor shower in your room this place is tops. All the food eaten in the restaurants was great and imaginative and tasty. The staff go out of their way to please you when you make a request. The cultural "educator" was more than gracious and full of information about all aspects of Hawaiian culture.
The price point is higher but I have to say it was worth every penny.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Four Seasons on the Big Island. We first came 5 years ago. The property is just as gorgeous as ever, and in a beautiful location. However, some of the Aloha has gone, and it may be our last trip. When you pay $1,000 per day, it comes with an expectation of excellence and I think they are struggling with this.

If you arrive before 3pm, you will most likely wait for your room, we expected that. We went to the bar...and when we were called, expected the bellman to find us. He did not, we went back to the front desk and located him, sans luggage. Ok, it must be in the room already...so they said, it was not. Finally it was found...I think my husband tipped three bellman through the ordeal. It turned out fine. Just not on their game.

Pool-always great service and a beautiful setting at the Beach Tree. Gone are the cold towels and offers to clean sunglasses. They do keep the water coming and the service for purchases is very good.

Restaurants-one was closed so we ate at Ulu and Beach Tree. Prices have gone up, if that was even possible. (Yes, I know Hawaii is an expensive place, this was probably our 15th trip...but it's getting obnoxious in some areas at the resort.) Wine and cocktails are 2-4 dollars more each than in the past. Some of the food portions are quite large and can be shared. Food was OK, nothing special. We did really enjoy the sushi at Ulu and the Bolagnase pasta at Beach tree. I think the breakfast buffet is a complete rip off at $41, unless you eat a lot. The pancakes and waffles there are not even made to order.

Room-clean and well serviced. They seem to push the filtered water but did leave bottles most days, 2 small ones each time. You can purchase Evian at the store.

Spa-prices went up as well. Yoga classes are super easy, crammed into a small yoga room, and they cost more than last time. I went to only one because it was not challenging...more exercise in a walk. The spa area amenities are very nice. Massage...again, expensive but a good experience.

Kids-apologies to those of you that chose to bring small and crying babies to dinner. It's hard for us couples that came here to leave the city and enjoy peace and quiet, only to find noisy children. Luckily there is a kids pool, but maybe there should be a kids food option too. We specifically choose late October to avoid this, but it no longer works. Not only are there babies, but somehow school age kids too.

Groups-the hotel has obviously made a strategic decision to cater to large groups. This leads to activities for that group only, that you see but are excluded from. It's fine, but it changes the dynamic of the culture here. Last stay 5 years ago over the same time period, did not see any large groups.

Residents- they seem to know all the staff and you watch the staff being very friendly and attentive to them at the bars and restaurants. You feel left out of that a bit, even though you understand it. Last time there was much more shared conversation, just missing this time around.

My biggest negative, there used to be a bar above Ulu for drinks, appetizers, and a wonderful view of the sunset. You guessed it, open for groups only! We had such fond memories and sadly...it's gone. Between the two small bars, not enough sunset seating unless you come early, and that's during a slow time of year!

Again, since Kona Village was destroyed, this was my favorite resort on earth. It's still good, just not as good as a Four Season's should be.

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Elizabeth T
Reviewed 1 November 2016

This hotel is definitely on par with the other Four Seasons around the world. Our room was well laid out with a beautiful outdoor shower that was utilized many times. The grounds are gorgeous and the service is delivered with a smile. The gym and outdoor fitness areas are second to none at any property we have stayed almost anywhere. The wireless signal is strong throughout the entire property. Perhaps the most incredible benefit of staying here is the general store (on the property) where almost everything one can imagine is available. One can purchase breakfast, special coffees. very upscale wine and spirits for reasonable prices and almost anything else. Furthermore, all items can be charged to the room. This hotel is a winner in a beautiful setting. A full five star experience.

Room tip: Try to request an outdoor shower. For a better view, request a second floor room.
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2016

checked into this hotel (thankfully) after a hideous experience at the fairmont up the road.

the level of service and welcome by all was amazing

All hotels should be this good

every detail of this hotel (although an older hotel) is amazing

The staff are the best thing about this hotel...followed by the position and the whole ambience.

Its not a cheap place to stay but worth every cent......

the variety of pools, beach areas and gardens to relax in are amazing

Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2016

My husband and I had not been to the big island for almost 25 years so we decided to make this trip special.....no kids this time. Checking in, Nicole told us she had upgraded our room to a suite. After talking to us a bit she said "I think I can find a room that will suite you better." OMG, she hit the nail on the head. We had a room overlooking the King's Pond with an ocean view and the sound of the ocean serenading us at night. Snorkeling in the The King's Pond became a daily ritual with its 93 varieties of fish, some almost as big as me! The relaxed, yet attentive service by everyone from the housecleaning people to the people around the pools to the restaurant staff is very special here. Everyone seems happy and it is contagious. The grounds are spectacular and I even stumbled across the vegetable garden and fish farm during one of my walks. The resort is making a true effort to be responsible stewards of the property and respectful of the Hawaiian culture and to me it is what made staying a the Four Season's even better.

Room tip: Many good options to choose from. Talk to the staff when you check in as they know the property.
Date of stay: October 2016