“Home away from home.”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Dining and Living Room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
A TripAdvisor Member
“Home away from home.”
Reviewed 27 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

I stayed at Ms. Verna's place with my children and it was wonderful. Ms. Verna has stocked the refrigerator with drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Then she even provided dinner from Melba's. I will never stay in another hotel, Ms. Verna has spoiled me.

27 Dec 2016
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. It was a pleasure to host you and your family. I look forward to hosting your family again in the future.
WVFamilyB...
Bluefield, WV
“Really comfortable place to stay in New Orleans.”
Reviewed 27 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We stayed at Verna's place in New Orleans for three nights. We we first got here - we were greeted by cute baskets full of chips, breakfast danishes, and oatmeal. There are window a/c throughout the house that you have to turn on and we were having difficulty with the one in the main living room - but a quick call to Verna and we got it going (just push the on button really hard for a little longer than you would expect. We had told Verna around what time we would be in as she likes to provide a "snack" for her renters for the first night. That's what I thought the baskets were. I was surprised to hear a knock at the door and a young lady that works with Verna came carrying in dinner from a local restaurant "Melba's" She also left her number should we need anything during our stay as Verna was attending to a family issue out of town. The snack turned into a delicious home cooked dinner which gave us the opportunity to just relax after a long drive in. The beds were very comfortable and the place cooled down while we were exploring the french quarter. Saturday night is a very busy night to try and take in all the sites downtown, however and we finally found a pay parking $20 for 6 hours parking (street parking is good if you can find the pay to park but is only for 2 hours, parking on Sunday is free in many places). I will say that Verna provides a lot of information in brochures and other things about what to do down town as well as some recommendations for restaurants nearby. The French Quarter is about a 10 minute drive from her place so it was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. This is located in the Ninth Ward and you can see some places that are very nice mixed in with some that have been boarded up. We never had any problems that made us feel unsafe in any way. There is a lovely locked gate on the front door that locks when you are inside as well as a door chain. Again - I have two daughters and my husband and none of us felt nervous at any time while staying at Verna's place. We parked in the pull in next to the house, so parking there was not an issue either. There is a lot to do in New Orleans. We recommend visiting the WWII museum, market street, bourbon street, fifth quarter, traditional beignets at Cafe Du Monde (but they come 3 to a bunch and are very large). We also enjoyed dinner at Oceana Grill in downtown and Chef Rons Gumbo Stop in Metarie. I will also review them on trip advisor. I would recommend this place for anyone. Verna does all she can to bring warmth and a feeling of home to here. I would stay here again if we were ever in this area.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The interior niceties (baskets of goodies, meal from Melba's, water and pop in the fridge, coffee and filters available, soft linen and towels.
Liked least: The area around her home is still in the rebuild stage after Katrina - but you can see progress.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
28 Jun 2016
Susan, Thank you for the lovely review. I am so glad that you were comfortable and enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to host you and your family. It is my goal to make my guest feel comfortable and at home when staying with me. I am glad that I was successful. Verna
REBECCA O
“very clean, comfortable, nice, would recommend to anyone!”
Reviewed 14 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

Verna was such a gracious hostess, she provided snacks and even had dinner waiting for our arrival. The duplex was very clean, very comfortable, and had everything we needed to enjoy our stay in NOLA. Thank you again Verna for a lovely vacation rental!!

Travelling group: Young Children
15 Jun 2016
Thanks Rebecca for the lovely review and thank you for choosing to stay at my home. It was a pleasure to host you and your party.
Samantha...
“Very clean and convenient!”
Reviewed 26 May 2016 for a stay in May 2016

I stayed here with a group of friends and we had the best time. We never felt unsafe. Everyone was very friendly and the duplex was in a convenient and quiet location and was very clean. Ms. Hardiman was so great! She was very helpful and accommodating. The fridge was stocked with drinks and the kitchen with snacks and coffee. She even brought us a delicious New Orleans breakfast. The French Quarters and the Garden District are just short $10 cab rides away. We all had such a great time and enjoyed the city so much. Thank you Verna for such a great stay. We would definitely stay at this location again!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The property owner was so kind and helpful
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
27 May 2016
Thanks Samantha for the lovely review. It was a pleasure to host you and your party. I definitely will look forward to host you again in the future. Verna
Chanel K
Chicago, Illinois
“Southern Comfort”
Reviewed 1 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

I rented this house during Mardi Gras, with two other girlfriends of mine! Ms. Verna was very hospitable and communicated with me nearly everyday up until our arrival to ensure we were on the same page. She's very accessible as well, so in any event if I had questions, she'd answer her phone right away or respond via text/email. As soon as my party and I arrived Ms. Verna met us there, with delicious shrimp on a bun sandwiches from a place called Man Chu's! She also bought us a traditional Mardi Gras King Cake. There were brochures of nearby places to visit and dine. She even gave us a ride to Man Chu's one day, because we loved the sandwiches that much. The rental comes equipped with a fridge stocked with fruits and beverages, washer and dryer, (3) cable televisions and wifi. The house was clean and presentable. The day you leave, she sends a cleaning crew there immediately to quickly put Humpty Dumpty back together again. The beds were comfortable and extra pillows could be found in the closet of the bedrooms. I read several reviews about this place before I decided to book- the truth is the price was very reasonable. Especially compared to all the hotels during a peak time such as Mardi Gras. I read a lot of complaints about the neighborhood, however I did not once feel my safety was a risk. What people need to understand is the ninth ward is still a product of Hurricane Katrina, if you choose to be upset with anyone or anything be upset with the fact the government has not prioritized this neighborhood to be reconstructed 11 years after the fact. I was out during different times of the day and the night and not once did I feel unsafe. In fact I only saw our neighbors one time during my five day stay. If anything it was humbling to see what this neighborhood had been through, and if you want to fully experience New Orleans- I suggest staying here. I almost forget to mention, there is a security code on the screen door, in addition to the double locks on the door, and the alarm system. So Ms. Verna has taken all the necessary steps to ensure the home is safe and secure. The only two cons that I have are: the website says it sleeps six. However there are only two queen sized beds and two sofa beds. So if you're going with a group that large- it would be fair to give the people who have to sleep on the couches some kind of discount amongst your group (my personal opinion). Secondly, the distance, it's about 10 to 15 minutes out from the main attractions (Bourbon Street, the French Quarters) so consider renting a car or be prepared to use Uber or cabs. It's about a $12.00 trip to and from. So be sure to factor that in your budget. All in all I enjoyed my time here and would definitely return, Ms. Verna is professional and hospitable and I would be glad to do business with her again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Ms. Verna's hospitablity
Liked least: The distance from main attractions
Travelling group: Friends
13 Apr 2016
Chanel , Thank you for the sparkling review. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to host you and your party. I hope that I will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit. Thanks again for choosing to stay at my home. Verna
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing