“A day in the art distrct”

New Orleans Glassworks & Printmaking Studio
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors are treated to the breathtaking daily demonstrations. Hands on two-hour classes available in Venetian Glassblowing, Torchwork, Welding, Metal Sculpture, Printmaking, Jewelry, Stained Glass, Sugar Blowing and Copper Enameling. Prominent New Orleans Artists collaborating with International masters creating in the sky lit studios. The South's largest working artist studio and exhibition gallery. Spacious, renovated, historical building brick building two blocks down town from the world war museum. The New Orleans Glassworks & Printmaking Studio is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization, operational since 1989 as a facility devoted to enriching the cultural lives of its guests to its school, open-working studios, and rolling exhibitions.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

When we were enjoying the art work a woman from the gallery approached me and asked me to turn my backpack to the front. This was a perfectly reasonable request and I was happy to do it. However, she then proceeded to lecture me about the two signs they have on the door at the entrance. I found this particularly rude. First, my husband held the door open for me, so I did not see the signs. Second, I was not even greeted in a friendly manner, no hello, nothing. Every gallery we went to on Julia street was a pleasure except this one.

1  Thank Gwen B
Geriod B, Guest Relations Manager at New Orleans Glassworks & Printmaking Studio, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Our studio has been exhibiting glass for the past 40 years engaging visitors in hands-on class in glass blowing, metal sculpture, and printmaking. We have had to post two posters 11x17 one in the front of the building as you enter and the other as visitors step up to the recessed front door. We also post a large poster as you are inside the door. This is for the safety of the glass, not braking.
When a visitor turns around with the backpack sticking out from their back or backs up they will hit the glass sitting on a pedicel .. Once the glass is broken it can not be replaced. When a visitor passes the 3 colorful posters and has not acknowledged the posters to remove the backpack.... one of the volunteers who greets all visitors explains that there are Posters as they approach and also enter the studio to please take the backpack off their back. The volunteers who greet all visitors explains that they can either hold to the backpack in front of them or bring the backpack to the front desk. The volunteers always explain that there are 3 posters as they approach the studio and enter the building. We want to be sure that the visitors do not feel that they are singled out.
We are the only galleries in the area showing glass. The other galleries in the Art district have paintings on the wall and do not have to be concerned with glass breaking as a visitor walks around with back packs in the studio

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"school"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

We have been here several times. This year during our annual vacation to NOLA, we brought our 21 year old daughter. She loved looking at all the glass pieces of art for sale and enjoyed watching a student making their glass creation. We spent about an hour here and really enjoyed it. Call ahead to see if there will be anyone working on making glass pieces so you are sure not to miss anything.

1  Thank judygE1960DI
Reviewed 17 March 2018

We found out about this class when we arrived to New Orleans. We made the reservations for the two hour glassblowing class and was warmly welcomed even though we arrived early.

Zack was terrific. Keep in mind this could be dangerous given the high heat and the level of skill needed to produce glassworks. But Zack was patient even though much of this is technical. We produced six pieces of work with him , and the emphasis, is with him and it was great. Great way to spend some time in NO doing something different.

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We signed up for the two hour workshop on a lark. I saw it on TripAdvisor after we got to NOLA. Wow, what a fun and unique thing to do as a couple. I’m not at all crafty, but they guide you expertly through the glass making process while keeping it safe and fun. We got to make a paper weight, a glass and a Christmas globe and can’t wait to get them shipped to us. These folks are real craftsman and it was great seeing that kind of artistry up close.

2  Thank Steven B