“Best food for miles around”
Review of Gumbo Shop

Gumbo Shop
Ranked #174 of 2 082 Restaurants in New Orleans
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: French Quarter
Description: Established in 1948, The Award Winning Gumbo Shop features a wide range of New Orleans cuisine at its finest. Enjoy fantastic customer service and great food. Patrons are also welcome to order from our full wine list including 30 Wines by the Glass.Gumbo Shop is located at 630 St. Peters Street, 1/2 block from Jackson Square in the French Quarter. As the name implies, gumbo is a fixture on the menu, but our menu also features Creole and Cajun inspired dishes that represent New Orleans' truly unique cuisine. Gumbo Shop was founded in 1948 in a former French Quarter home built in the late 1700's. The building represents a typical French Quarter layout with central courtyard and former kitchen in the rear. For the past 20 consecutive years, Gumbo Shop has received the "Best of New Orleans" best place to eat gumbo from Gambit, a local publication that relies on reader polls to determine the winners in all categories.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had an amazing meal here. Great service and the gumbo and jambalaya were superb. Loads of choices on the menu and a good drinks selection. No reservations, you just show up but the queue quickly moves and we were seated in less than 15 minutes. Very reasonable prices for a French Quarter restaurant. Don't miss out on this experience.

Gaylin M, General Manager at Gumbo Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I couldn't be happier to hear that you had an amazing time with us! It sounds like you found a favorite on our menu, and I appreciate this great feedback. Hope to see you back the next time you're in the French Quarter.

Until then,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3 833)

23 - 27 of 3 833 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

If you thought you had gumbo and jambalaya before... you will be shocked to find that THIS place makes all versions of gumbo and jambalaya taste bad! My mom wanted gumbo and jambalaya so bad (the reason for our trip) and let's just say... we brought additional food to take back home on the plane with us... which, we did! We also shared our food with our family back home and they were in AWE! The service was magnificent. Our waiter was very mannerly and took care of all of our needs. The place doesn't look like a 5 star dining restaurant and is very cramped. However, between the service and food trust me, it is AMAZING!

Wow! Brandi, I can't tell you how excited I am to hear that we blew your idea of gumbo and jambalaya out of the water! Thanks for bringing us back as a souvenir for your family. I can't wait for your next trip to Nola!

Best,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This place is the real deal! Really lovely service, as I was by myself the waiter was very attentive but not over bearing. The Gumbo was just delicious, rich, hot and full of flavour just as it should be. If I was in town for longer I would definitely have come back as a lot of the other food also looked delicious. A really nice venue and just a great place to dine knowing you'll get real Gumbo at a reasonable price.

It sounds like you had a lovely time at our shop! I couldn't be more pleased to hear that our flavorful gumbo was a hit -- thanks for sharing. I hope to see you back here again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Based on recommendation from co-travelers, our party of 13 decided to visit Gumbo Shop for mid afternoon meal. This place requires entire party to be present to be seated. Fortunately, we only waited as long as it took to place tables together for us. (No waiting could be due to time of day, 3:40pm on a Saturday.) Restaurant has the main dining area, outdoor area and a back room. They were able to fit all of us into a back room detached from the main area. (Seating us was no small feat for any restaurant we visited.) The back room had good air conditioning although those seated near the open door felt warmer. The room allowed easy conversation for everyone at the long table. We all agreed the food was excellent. (Sorry, forgot what appetizers and other food were ordered.) I shared the Roast Beef Po-Boy (sandwich). It was moist and soft. The Po-Boy was as large as the server stated. With the appetizers and large order, the main entrée arrived an hour after we were seated. As tourists, we were in no hurry to leave. Overall, the server was attentive, prices were reasonable, food was excellent and atmosphere was great.

Thanks for trusting us to satisfy your whole party, Harold, and it sounds like your visit was a hit! I appreciate that you guys weren't in a hurry and really took the time to enjoy your meal in our welcoming atmosphere. Thanks for the stellar review. I hope you'll be back to see us the next time you're tourists in our town.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Delicious gumbo. I do believe it is probably the best I have had. The place was really packed and we were practically sitting with the people at the table next to us, they were really that close. On a good note, we didn’t have to wait for a table since we took the table for two against the wall and right up next to the other table. Our waitress was great, friendly and very knowledgeable of the menu and food. She recommended the Creole Sampler and my husband went with it. It was great and I don’t think he left a bite on the plate. I had the chicken gumbo and I cannot say enough good words about it. I loved it! The prices were not bad either. I will make another stop here the next time I am passing through or here nearby for a visit.

Donna, you can't go wrong with the staples, and it sounds like you and your husband chose just right! Between the gumbo and the creole, you enjoyed some of the area favorites. I'm happy to hear that your server recommended a sampler that wowed, and that it helped make regulars out of you both. Looking forward to your next visit!

Best regards,
Gaylin McAllister, General Manager

Been to Gumbo Shop? Share your experiences!