“So good that we abandoned all preliminary planned...”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 13 reviews

Reviews from our community

LBBVilniu...
Vilnius, Lithuania
“So good that we abandoned all preliminary planned trips around”
Reviewed 24 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

It is a dangerous place :). You might fall in love with it so much that all planned activities, like visiting places around, going for a dinner to another place etc will be forgotten same minute You will enter establishment. At least that happens to us.
We postponed all activities until we moved to stay in other places. And just enjoyed nice surrounding, excellent service, best food we found in Bali, stunning view, walk on almost private beach, observing local fisherman placing his net in the see, etc. Our three days went over very fast.
Staff is always here when You need them and never bother when You want to be private. I still wonder how they do manage it.
33 meters long swimming pool is more as You can expect in regular Villa. Take Your time exercise before the breakfast.
For online addicted internet works well and is relative fast (as much as I can compare to some other experience in Bali)
It is bit of driving time from airport due to traffic (probably depends on Your arrival time), but it is everywhere like this in Bali (traffic).
Go here if good service, good food and relaxed time is what You are looking for.

Date of stay: July 2015
Travelling group: Teenagers
beemerUK
London
“Super relaxing holiday in a stunning location”
Reviewed 19 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

What can we say about our stay at the villa ? It was simply wonderful :-)

As we arrived late into the night I could see the apprehension in my wife and childrens faces as we drove through the last 200m in darkness on this small narrow bumpy road! I know they were thinking where has their crazy husband/father brought them!

I had told them before that the "resort" was quite remote but will still probably be quite busy as we were going during the summer months.

Upon walking down the steps into the villa and catching first sight of the two buildings the worried look on their faces turned to joy :-) When I turned to them and said "Oh and by the way, we are the only ones here" my daughter screamed out "This place is so cool!"

Their smiles just got bigger and bigger as our driver Gusti showed us all around the villa.

Your villa and it's location are stunning. The whole family had a fabulous time including White water rafting and quad biking on the beach and through the fields. We had planned more trips but in the end the family just wanted to stay at the villa! I enjoyed cycling down to the beach from the around villa.

ALL of your staff made our stay extremely enjoyable. They were always polite and courteous. The food was also amazing...I can't remember the last time I ate so much!

Please pass on our sincerest thanks to ALL of them - we were sad to say goodbye to them :-(

No hesitation in recommending to others.

Date of stay: July 2015
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location and staff
Liked least: nothing!
Travelling group: Teenagers
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway
Geoff L
Hong Kong, China
“Possibly my favourite place on earth?”
Reviewed 2 June 2015 for a stay in May 2015

This is a very special place. Probably not for those of you who want to enjoy Bali nightlife or try a different restaurant each night, Bulung Daya is remote and unique, but only a 2 hour drive from the airport. The villa has been very carefully designed to make the most of its fabulous location perched on top of a promontory overlooking two deserted black sand beaches over which the two spacious and beautifully appointed double bedrooms look (in case you were wondering, it is very easy for guests to access the beaches, which although public are usually deserted, although you might see some local fisherman there from time to time) . At the back are neatly terraced rice fields which provide an interesting contrast to the sea view and amplify the feeling of escape to a more traditional and natural world. The staff are welcoming, friendly, efficient and speak good English. We ate every night in the villa (having originally planned to eat out at least once), and were delighted by the fine mix of local and European cuisine, unable to resist the lure of our private dining room overlooking the stunning Bali landscape. The 30+ metre pool, the well equipped gym and the home cinema (in truth the views round here are better than any movie) are just some more of the great features of this place. But I won't go on- there are many other lovely extra touches which make this place so special, but you should find these out for yourself. One last thing- the owner, although not living in Bali, is very responsive and helpful, as well as having a genuine passion to make your stay as special as possible. This was our second trip here......we can't wait to return.

Date of stay: May 2015
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Too much to mention
Liked least: bumpy roads!
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
Management Response
4 Jun 2015
Dear Geoff and Janice, thank you so much for your kind review. I know that my whole team was very happy to have you as returning guests to Bulung Daya. You perfectly describe what life is like at my beach retreat: Sometimes, you have to fight hard to gather the will to get away from it, as it is just a wonderful experience.
Guests like you help make Bulung Daya a very special place, where one can create lifelong happy memories.
My team and I thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you again. - Thibault
DadR25
Shenzhen
“Villa Bulung Daya - Four Days In Paradise”
Reviewed 11 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014

My wife and I just returned from a week in Bali. After 3 nights at the very nice Conrad Bali Resort on the Nusa Dua beach, we spent 4 days at the Villa Bulung Daya. The short story - outstanding!

This trip was to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We are from the US, but currently living as expats in southeast China. We are not super-experienced travelers, but neither are we novices. We don’t do a lot of fine dining, but do recognize exceptional quality when we taste it. This was our first time to travel to Bali.

I found the Villa Bulung Daya by using Tripadvisor to search for a villa that was beach front and also located a bit away from the main “tourist” areas. I looked through a lot of different villas, and saw a number that would have probably met our requirements. However, the Bulung Daya seemed to be exactly what I wanted.

We arrived with very high expectations – and the Villa Bulung Daya exceeded them all! It was truly 4 days in paradise. The location, facilities, beach, and staff – all were outstanding.

Let me get the couple “negatives” out of the way up front. First and foremost – if getting away from it all is not your idea of fun, you may want to go elsewhere. If you want to go to clubs or restaurants each evening, you may want to look elsewhere. The drive from the airport area to the villa is about 1 ½ hrs. Even the main road is 2 lanes, and it’s heavily traveled.

But . . . when Gusti (the villa manager) stopped the car at the edge of the property, and Dedung (the butler) handed us a wonderful cool drink in a carved cucumber “glass”, the view was breathtaking. Literally. It is impossible to express the emotion we felt as we turned to take in the scenery.

You can go to a couple different websites to get descriptions of the villa and its amenities. I won’t repeat those descriptions, but I will confirm that they are accurate. Everything is first class, and everything we used works as advertised. (We did not use the theater room or gym, but all the equipment in both appeared to be top brands. I did observe that there are probably a couple hundred DVDs to choose from, though I don’t know why anyone would want to watch movies rather than the beauty of the sea outside.)

The black sand beach is quite unique. After you walk in it, your feet look like they’re covered in ashes; but it all washes off like normal sand. The waves have carved some really impressive forms in to the old lava flows that make up much of the surroundings. For an old rock hound like me, it was fascinating. Watching the waves explode against the rocks as the tide comes in is truly awesome. The beauty of this piece of paradise is unsurpassed.

The staff at the villa is outstanding. Gusti, the manager, picked us up at the Conrad and drove us to the villa. In addition to being an excellent driver, he is also a wealth of information and provided a running commentary on the countryside as we drove. We had planned to have Gusti drive us to visit the old volcano and Lake Batur. However, we ended up staying by the pool / walking the beach / enjoying the solitude.

Dedung is the butler, and his food service and attention to detail while dining is amazing. He did a great job of attending to our needs, then disappearing, allowing us to enjoy the meals, and reappearing at just the right time to tend to another need.

The chef is Wayan, and he is outstanding! We had intended to try Balinese food, and then eat Western for the rest of our stay. After tasting our first couple traditional dishes, we never bothered to request western food (other than our eggs and toast for breakfast). Meals included lemongrass chicken, grilled tuna, and grilled lobster. In addition to great tasting food, the presentation of the dishes was on par with the finest restaurants. And yes – Wayan can make great deserts as well!

The cleaning staff was wonderful. While we ate breakfast each day, they would (request permission to) enter the other house and clean the rooms, make the bed, and replace towels. During dinner, they would again enter the house, freshen up and turn down the bed. Always done very well, and always completed with absolutely no infringement on our time or activities.

There are also a couple gardeners that tend to the property. They were always there at 7am to put out the chairs pads and pool towels. They would also water the grass while we ate breakfast in the morning and while we ate lunch. When we sat to eat dinner, the chairs pads and towels were gathered and put away. After an evening when they saw we wanted to have a cup of tea outside after dinner, they left the cushions out until later for our use. Amazing attention to our wishes . . .

Part of the real greatness of Villa Bulung Daya is that once the staff did what we asked them to do – and at the times we requested to have it done - they disappeared. And the villa was ours alone. The pool, the beach, the grounds, the houses – it was all ours, with no interruptions; no intrusions. As I mentioned up front, if getting away from it all is not your idea of fun, you may want to go elsewhere. (Alternately, I’m sure you could arrange for the staff to be there and attend to your needs all day if you chose.)

As we were preparing our trip to Bali, we had said we needed to see everything of significance on the island, because we would not be back to Bali. There were simply too many other places to see during the next 3-4 years we’re living in SE Asia. After our 1st day at Villa Bulung Daya, we began looking at our calendar to see when we could schedule our return. It is truly an awesome place.

Date of stay: November 2014
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Date of stay: June 2014
Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: The pool
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
8 Aug 2014
Hello Daniele,
Thank you for your review, it was lovely to talk with you and plan your mother's birthday at my beach retreat. As I know that you are a food critique, my private chef was very eager to know your feedback as well. So happy that you liked the food, the service and the villa.
I look forward to welcoming you to Bulung Daya in the near future.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.