All reviews bush tv local masai hot water tented camp warm shower food was wonderful unique experience dining tent wild animals edwin toilet accommodation tents safari tarangire comfort kenya
Reviewed 20 June 2018

My husband and I had such a wonderful experience at the Whistling Thorn. We were first greeted by the employees. They took our bags, showed us our tent for the evening as we passed by the dining tent. The tent was provided simple accommodations that were clean and comfortable and included a warm shower. We enjoyed "Maasai TV" that evening and finished our night with a delicious and satisfying meal. Breakfast was good in the morning. We absolutely loved Whistling Thorn.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2018

I've stayed in several great tented camps in Tanzania, but Whistling Thorn was definitely my favourite! Mainly because of the amazingly friendly staff and the great mix of basics and luxury! Definitely a night to remember!

The camp is located right next to the border of Tarangire National Park in the middle of the nature. When we woke up early in the morning, we could see a group of antilopes passing! Really feels like you are sleeping in Africa! It takes a bit of time to get to (or back from) the main entrance of the Park, but this route is also through the wetland savannah and you'll pass several maasai villages, which was a cool experience.

I really liked the fact that the tents where pretty basic compared to the other camps i stayed in (I'm a student so I had never seen a tent with beds and a toilet in it, so I thought these where already really luxurious). The tent was really clean and the beds where comfortable with nice authentic maasai blankets (you may say that this looks basic, but I loved it!). You had to ask for hot water to shower, so the staff could bring a big bag of water to your tent so you could shower. I really liked that this was the way to shower and there were no pipes, because it really made the "in the wild" complete (but still with more than enough luxury). You still have a normal toilet which you can flush, so I think it's the best of both worlds!

The staff was really friendly upon arrival and during our whole stay. They where smiling all the time, just like the Maasai people who where the security at night. It made us feel really welcome! The maasai employees also provided us with the so called "bush TV", which was a traditional maasai song/dance next to a bonfire, which was really cool. The staff was really helpful and they could arrange early breakfast (or to go) and lunchboxes to go.

We asked if we could do a walking safari in the morning (so it is not too hot) and this was possible. We walked with one Maasai and one person of the staff through the amazing landscapes and at the border of Tarangire where they told us a lot about the plants and the Maasai. Also there were three Giraffes crossing the road right in front of us at the border (we were really lucky)!!! Unforgettable experience!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tanja A
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Stayed 2 nights over there. Great place next to Tanranguire entrance.
The food was good (common table for all the guests). The staff was nice. The ambiance is excellent: only a few tents, so that you get to know the other guests and the staff better (I really prefer tented camps over lodges).
Given the price, comfort was good (1 shower per day, arranged with someone putting water in the reservoir above the tent. The water was hot). Hot water in a basket in the morning to clean the face.
I really recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We arrived at Whistling Thorn after a long drive from Kenya and some hours in the Tarangire National Park. The employees were incredibly friendly and hospitable. The food was incredibly delicious. The masai performed traditional dances, and they certainly went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Definitely a little rustic, although in a covered tent. But such a beautiful setting out away from any cities and such a unique experience. The staff was beyond gracious.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sprvardy
Reviewed 2 August 2017

It took us a lot of time to find the camp while it is very badly signposted. The camp itself is nice and very well maintained. Local Masai work together with the other campstaff in taking care of the luggage and providing hot water for the showerbags behind the tent. In the evening they performed a welcoming dance to us next to the bush tv. Of course they also have some stuff for sale but we liked the dancing and singing and didn't feel caught in a touristtrap. Diner was decent. Huge bed in the tent, the flush of our toilet had some issues. We felt safe but the storey of the previous reviewer scares me. When we left there appeared to be an issue with a local tax for staying on Masaiground which was solved by our guide but felt a bit weird.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple