“A hotel isn’t even an option when you can stay...”

Review of BIG BEAR FALLS

Master Bedroom at Big Bear Falls
Lofted Game Room at Big Bear Falls
Second Floor Bedroom at Big Bear Falls
Deck at Big Bear Falls
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Brookie81...
Ashland, Pennsylvania
“A hotel isn’t even an option when you can stay here!”
Reviewed 10 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

My family of 4 (two adults and two kids ages 5 and 1) stayed at Big Bear Falls Cabin the first week of August and our time spent there was awesome! The pictures on the website don’t do it justice. The cabin was private, even though a neighboring cabin was near by. There was no mountain view, but I did not expect that. I imagined being surrounded by trees and nature, which is exactly what it was.

It was very easy and convenient to check in. I didn’t even have to call or stop by an office --everything was done via text!

This was our first trip to Tennessee, and the location between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge was the best. Either town was a short & convenient drive. At first the drive up to the cabin seems daunting, but after a few trips in and out, it’s like second nature. The back mountain roads leading up to the cabin were indeed steep, narrow and winding, but I wouldn’t expect anything less when renting a cabin in the mountains. Yes, there are hairpin turns, small wooden signs and steep gravely roads, but it’s all part of the experience. However, the edge of driveway needs to be maintained better. Our car “scraped bottom” backing out of the driveway each time, because the rain washed away some of the stone and gravel. We drive a Hyuandi Elantra, which sits very low on the ground anyway, so this isn’t a problem for everyone.

The staircase leading up to the front door was steep. But again, we knew that from the website pictures. It was initially a “workout” carrying your luggage up, but coming and going once or twice daily was fine.

The cabin layout was great. Everything was clean upon arrival and the décor was perfect. The living room, fireplace, open floor plan and the windows were impressive. For some reason we couldn’t figure out how to use the (four!) remotes for the tv/surround sound, but made do with the basics.

I loved having the washer and dryer in the cabin, especially with 2 young children. The two bathrooms made it super convenient & the bedrooms were very big and spacious. Unfortunately, the pillows were not comfortable at all. Bring your own pillow!! We decided not to, because the car was already packed to the gills -- Big mistake! The master bed’s mattress was a bit uncomfortable as well, but tolerable. The upstairs bed was uncomfortable as well AND incredibly squeaky. Hopefully whoever sleeps in that bed doesn’t toss and turn a lot!

A bad thing about the cabin is that you can hear everything through the walls. If you are sleeping in the master downstairs, and someone would get out of bed upstairs, you can hear the bed squeaking as they get out, the footsteps across the floor, coming down the staircase, and so on. Then again, I’m not sure if that’s how a log cabin “works”. (I’m definitely used to thicker walls and quiet neighboring rooms). Needless to say, even tip-toeing during my kid’s nap time was dangerous for fear of waking them!

We used the hot tub almost every night, which was awesome and relaxing. During the entire week, we barely saw a single bug, which I was surprised about. (An occasional spider, but that’s it!) And we never had any “furry woodland friends”, big or small, on the porch or near the garbage cans.

One last perk we would have loved to have was wifi access. Sure, you’re supposed to be unplugged in nature, but who doesn’t want to share pictures of this awesome cabin and vacation with friends on facebook?!

Overall, we were very pleased and can’t wait to come back to the smoky mountains again. Staying in a cramped hotel room for a week isn’t even an option when you can stay in a beautiful spacious place like this!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: secluded cabin, awesome layout and decor, location to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge
Liked least: very uncomfortable pillows, beds and 'thin
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Ohio
Reviewed 2 September 2013 for a stay in July 2013

A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
TeniWalls
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 21 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

My family, which includes 3 small children, and I had a great time. Big Bear Falls was a nice,spacious, and family ready cabin. This cabin captured the essence of thr smoky mountains and made you feel at home. This is my first time booking with APG personally, but my second time in total. I will definitely use APG for future vacation plans in the smoky mountains!!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The open floor plan
Liked least: HD television cable not provided in all rooms
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Murfreesboro
Reviewed 16 May 2013 for a stay in February 2013

VA
Reviewed 31 January 2013 for a stay in November 2012

A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;