Open today: 08:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
History

We have been here several times, and learn more each time. ``Lots of history behind those walls... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Montanababs
Polson, Montana
Rainy Day Diversion...Amazing Place

Between the creepy self-guided tour of the prison and the rain, it was easy to imagine myself... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Gwen V
Montclair, NJ

All reviews car museum self guided tour old cars toy museum guide book interesting history gift shop ghost tour on display great car admission price historic place small town two hours own pace couple of hours great place to visit
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We were going to be in the area and my son is interested in the paranormal. So on an internet search I came across the prison and he immediately wanted to come see it. It was a rainy day, but luckily we had our umbrella, so the downpour did not stop our thorough tour of the prison. There is good information posted in most spots and you can really see what it would have been like for the prisoners. There is a tunnel that was open to look in and I got the creepiest feeling when we were in there and had to get out of it right away.
The car museum is very interesting. I am not a car buff, but my son likes them, so he was thrilled. I was amazed going through the museum with placards for each car telling what it was, history of it, owner, etc. It was pretty amazing, and there were some really neat cars, some that I have never heard of before- like the REO Speedwagon - I just thought it was the name of a music group - I didn't know that there was a vehicle by that name.
There is also a toy museum, a ghost town, a prison hobby shop - where the items are all made by current inmates. Lots of places all included when you pay to go into the prison and car museum. I only wish we had longer to have spent there. Really amazing place to visit.

1  Thank Tonya C
Reviewed 4 May 2018

One admission price covers the admission to the prison and several other museums; two or three of those museums were still closed for the season, and it seemed irritating that one still had to pay the full price. However, the two museums we did see were all we would have energy for in an entire day, anyway! The ticket is good for a year, but we live far away. But the staff is very nice, and we enjoyed the video about the prison and the surprisingly large and pleasing gift shop with items made by prisoners as well as other lovely items. The self-guided brochure helps a lot.

1  Thank Kathleen J
Reviewed 23 April 2018

We had a great visit and I'll admit I was a bit creeped out. Kids, just stay out of prison, m'kay?

We first toured the car museum, which is part of the ticket price. Being from Detroit and having visited the Henry Ford Museum many times, I was skeptical. I'm happy to say that I saw a LOT of cars that I've never seen before (or had forgotten about, which is the same thing for me). The museum is very tidy and every car has a placard to explain the year, make, model and the name of the car's owner. It was very interesting and educational.

I braced myself for the self-guided prison tour but nothing really prepares you for what's ahead. The day was cool and damp, which prolly didn't help to boost the mood. As with the car museum, the buildings were all well-labeled with the history and significant facts about the facility. It was very informative if a bit disturbing.

The gift shop was fun to visit and shop. The gal working at the cashier's spot was very friendly and helpful. Our tickets are good for another visit within the year. Since it's a complex of museums, I think I'd like to see something else next time *just* to be different. In spite of the gloom, I felt that I got in a good walk and a tremendous amount of history.

1  Thank Trish S
Sandra P, Manager at Old Montana Prison Complex, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for the wonderful review, we take pride in our museum complex and hope everyone enjoys the hard work that goes into our exhibits. We look forward to your return visit when the weather is warmer and the toy museum and Frontier Museum is open.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

We took a photo of one of the old cells in the prison and when we looked at it later a very strange picture immerged of a distorted head and shoulders of a man which seemed to be immerging from the cell bed. Really weird and spooky. Can't explain why of how.

4  Thank samstat
Reviewed 24 March 2018

Have wanted to see this place for awhile now so stopped in. The car museum was really fantastic with a lot of cars I had never seen before. A lot of history in this small Montana town. For a better experience it would be better to visit in the summer months.

1  Thank Jim C