“Good stay”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Gold Room

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Gold Room
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Good stay”
Reviewed 11 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

Nice stay

Easy to make food as I am gluten free

Easy access

Wifi worked well too when it was needed

Needed to call AMTRAK on landline

No problem

Liked best: Friendly
Liked least: Can't think of anything
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Bretones
Bogota, Colombia
“Really nice and cozy.”
Reviewed 10 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

Me and my family stayed there for two weeks and Larry and Nora were very nice and friendly to us. The first day we got there Larry drove us around to show us the shops and restaurants near by. We really enjoyed our stay. The only con was the distance. It took us over an hour to get to Manhattan by subway everyday. But if you are looking for a nice and not too expensive place to stay, this works for you. One more thing I noticed is that the pictures posted here didn't match the actual place. So maybe you can ask Larry for some new pictures.
But overall this is a great place to stay at. You get to know people from different countries and cultures, you save money and if you need help with something Larry and Nora will be there to help.

Travelling group: Large Group
Paris, France
Reviewed 18 March 2015 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
MiaMurill...
Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
“Safe neighborhood, nice house, excellent hosts, incredible price!”
Reviewed 28 February 2015 for a stay in December 2014

Me and my parents absolutely recommend this place, especially if you're travelling in a budget. Nora, Larry, and Brian were very nice and helpful, and we really loved the room. It was a great deal, the neighborhood was safe (I came back from the ball drop in Times Square at about 2-3 am, nothing happened), there were a few markets, stores, and laundries just a couple blocks away, and the bus stop is right there too.
Also, since we were there for Christmas, Nora made us (the three families staying in the house) a delicious Christmas Feast, and I can't even begin to describe how exquisite it was. We share Christmas afternoon like a big loving family, had a delightful dinner and talked about everything.
Larry was nice enough to give me a ride to the market the day we got there, and he got us a cab the day we left.
When I return to NYC, I'm positive I'll be staying with them again!

Liked best: Hosts were amazing
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Marcjas
Vermont
“Warm. Cozy. Nice. Safe.”
Reviewed 25 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015

I have stayed in several rentals on the northeast ranging from high end rentals with private beach to midrange rentals in cities. I homeschool our young kids and travel is often part of our curriculum.

I love this place and can't wait to go back. (My stay was in winter...)
First off, Mr. Larry is very kind, accommodating, patient and followed through on his word. And, mr. Jack was equally nice and was on hand at all times.

Secondly, the neighborhood is safe. My husband wanted me to park in garage (there is one on H Ave for $16/day) but the street was just fine. Keep on eye on the street cleaning signs. We would swap our car from on side to another when we walked by and saw a space.
After a snow storm I saw two men talking outside, one helped me park and the other lent me his shovel so I could shovel the steps so the kids wouldn't slip or fall. The people were super nice, helpful, and kind. Walking at night felt safe but use common sense. This is a Caribbean neighborhood so take advantage of some yummy goat. (for reals! Jamaicans know how to cook goat beautifully!) I didnt know it was a Caribbean neighborhood until we checked in so I ran out that night to find some goat. There's a take out joint next to the supermarket that has ok roti and meat and potatoes for a good price. (Get the jamacian ginger beer to drink!)

Finally, the rental: it is three bedrooms (of which we rented one), a kitchen, a bathroom. The rooms are well sized, clean, and doesn't have that "too many people slept here" smell common in rentals. But the rental has that apartment in nyc smell...i suspect because its an apartment in nyc. The bathroom has a cute sky light (which comes in handy when applying make up). The place is well lit. The kitchen only has two chairs but that worked for us. The dish cupboard was up too high for me to reach but luckily there were dishes in the dish rack. So if you are short, get mr. Larry to pull them down when you walk in ^_^. If you are allergic to down, bring pillows. This is not a trendy nyc place. This is a home to sleep in while you site see. This would be awesome for three friends looking to enjoy the city. This is also a a good affordable rental for a family...provided your kids are calm. There is no place for running or shenanigans but walking through the city should help.

For people who never been to nyc:
The bus stop is a short walk (walked it in winter wind with small children...you can do it!) which will drop you off at the subway.
Get an unlimited 7day metrocard. It paid for itself in less than three days.
Because you are at the end of a subway line, just get on the train and know you have about three stops to figure it out before your first possible transfer. But learn to read a subway map before you go to nyc.
Leave the stroller at home. Get a wrap! While I find strollers annoying (as a parent and pedestrian), I despise them in the city!
People are nice. You can ask for directions. Don't expect an answer from every person. But everyone has to learn the subway, they know how hard it is...
Be polite. I saw rude tourists and it makes it hard on all of us.
To dress like a NYCer: clean, comfy, weather appropriate. IF you are going to wear sweatpants (and no one stops you from walking out the door), dont wear stained, workout clothes.

Liked best: ^_^ bathroom sky light ^_^
Liked least: The kitchen floor
Travelling group: Young Children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing