“Just Amazing”

Ranked #97 of 839 Restaurants in Savannah
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Yamacraw Village
Description: Bringing her personal take on Port City Southern food to a city of her youth is for Chef Mashama Bailey a dream come true. It allows her to tap into the full breadth of her skills and experiences which combine to create dishes that are deep, layered, and soulful in their flavors while simple and approachable in their presentation. With a penchant for regional produce, seafood and meats, Mashama's current take on these traditionally southern ingredients reflects the cultural and ethnic melting pot that you find in a port city such as Savannah and this style of food is perfectly at home in the beautifully restored Greyhound Bus Terminal.
Reviewed 5 April 2021

If you consider yourself a foodie this is a must. This review refers to the main dining area, which offered a 4 or 6 course tasting menu, and not the other part in the front. (You can't choose the dishes but they will ask about allergies and have something to accommodate vegetarians).If you can't reserve online (highly likely) you still have a chance, as they keep some space for walk-ins. (Thanks again Luisa, the maitre'd). This was at the bar, where I usually don't want to eat a serious meal, but this time was different, thanks to Tim, who was just an amazing guide and representative of the Grey.

The place has a very unusual history, which you should be aware if you go, but documented elsewhere. The building is an amazing renovation of the Greyhound bus terminal, at the edge and walking distance of the Historic District. Open kitchen produces some magic. Amazing flavors, very creative fine dining that compares to almost anything else at a price point that I'd consider reasonable for what you get. I will note the progression started to slow down about midway through, so don't make plans for after:)

Again, Tim is an excellent mixologist, knows his wine (he recommended an interesting glass of red when we switched out of our bottle of white) and just all-around good company without being obtrusive.

A memorable experience.

1  Thank dkberman
Write a reviewReviews (1 141)

4 - 8 of 1 141 reviews

Reviewed 21 March 2021 via mobile

I have to start by saying, I loved the food and the flavors at the Grey. I read a couple other reviews to clarify my thoughts before proceeding. I've been to many fine restaurants particularly in New Orleans where my daughter went to school. In my mind the problem for my meal at the Grey is when the final tab for four people with one bottle of wine is $750, everything had to be perfect, and it wasn't quite. The Yurt concept, a heated small tent to be safe in the covid era is lovely. A three course meal prix fix had good, very flavorful choices. We were blown away by the flavor in the home made Cheez-Its on the snack plate which is one of the more unusual complements I've given on trip advisor reviews. Our service was fine but I wouldn't say outstanding. Our 7:30 reservation stretched to a meal ending at 10:45, so I enjoy a leisurely meal and not to be rushed but I thought it went a little too slow, I was honestly a bit tired to enjoy the desert we ordered. I thought for the price desert should have been included but it was extra. Overall I'd still say a great experience but with the above caveats.

1  Thank DrSteveL24
Reviewed 13 March 2021

My wife and I couldn't get reservations anywhere on a Saturday night before 9PM, however we decided to go to the Grey at 6:30PM to see if we could eat in the bar area. It was a home run! They have both booths for 4 and seating at the bar, plus two very good bartenders. We had raw oysters, a tremendous salad (which we split), and two broiled whole founders, and pecan ice cream for dinner. Also quite a few espresso martinis (which were awesome) for $130 total. I really enjoy bar atmospheres and this place hit the spot. Pretty good background music as well. two thumbs up!

1  Thank oldeagle2014
Reviewed 24 January 2021 via mobile

This restaurant was extremely difficult to get a reservation with and now I see why. The food was amazing, service impeccable and the interior gives you the feel you’re in an old train station waiting to embark on a trip lol. We had the biscuits with apple butter and they were flaky, warm and melted in your mouth. My husband had the 22oz aged ribeye with beautiful marbling and cooked to a perfect medium. I had the fish and grits that paired perfect with the creamed greens that I couldn’t stop eating even though they were my husband’s lol. For dessert we had blondies and they were the perfect size and nice and buttery. We are already scoping them out for a future dinner reservation.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank 389shanan
JohnoMori, Owner at The Grey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2021

Hey there Shana. Thanks for letting us know that you enjoyed your time with us and that food and service met your expectations. We really appreciate the support of you and your husband after such a difficult time to be in the restaurant business. We hope to see you again. - Johno

Reviewed 24 January 2021 via mobile

Possibly the best meal of my life! We are huge fans of Mashama and her approach to food and history. This was our first trip to Savannah and we saved The Grey for our last night. Chef Bailey greeted us on our way to our table. From the opening pickled oysters we knew this would be a magical tasting menu. The pork loin with apple chestnut purée still has my mind spinning two days later. I am a rather experienced amateur chef, and especially in pork and beef. This pork was so expertly prepared — I am still completely blown away. I’ve eaten in top restaurants from Hawaii to New York, and this was my favorite experience. Wonderful.

Date of visit: January 2021
1  Thank STL2006

Whenever someone talks about an experience at the Grey being the best in their life, I get a shiver and I, on behalf of the entire team, am so humbled by a comment like this. Food is so important to me and I remember all of those best meals so I completely relate to where you are coming from. Thank you STL2006 for being our guest and thank you for this wonderful note. - Johno