“Good, but the service could have been better”
Review of Circa 1875

Circa 1875
Reserve with OpenTable
Circa 1875 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 968 Restaurants in Savannah
Price range: US$27 - US$40
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broughton
Description: Historic French bistro, and pub in the heart of the historic district in downtown Savannah. Extensive wine list.
Reviewed 10 October 2018

My fiance and I went to Savannah for a weekend getaway and ended up walking by this restaurant and liked the look of it, and so made reservations for the following night. Everyone was incredibly nice. We sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine before taking our seats in the dining room. Great atmosphere and the appetizers were fantastic. Great menu selection too.

My only problem was some confusion regarding one of the specials of the day. We were told that one of the specials was Grouper, which we chose. My fiance and I, since we had a number of appetizers, decided to split this dish.

When the food came, I looked at it and tasted it, and did not think it was Grouper. I expressed my concern to my fiance, to make sure I was not crazy, and she agreed. SO much so, that we beckoned our server to the table, and asked her if she was sure that this was Grouper. She assured us it was.

We ate it. I was less than impressed. It tasted and looked like Tilapia. We got the bill, and the bill said Flounder - $38. We expressed our concern. I NEVER would have paid $38 for Flounder. To make it up to us? She took off the port that my fiance had - $13. I was less than enthused, and this spoiled an otherwise lovely experience.

3  Thank Thomas_Love

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Deep fried chicken livers? Really? In a French restaurant? Just yuck.
The filet was fabulous. Truffled french fries with Béarnaise sauce was delicious. Order that.

1  Thank jennifermA7310QV
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Stumbled across this restaurant while exploring Savannah on foot our first night in the city. We ate in the bar, at a banquette, and had a lovely, delicious meal. Serendipity brought us here, and we were rewarded with excellent, friendly service and delicious food and wine. It was an instance of being guided to exactly where we wanted to be, but didn't know it.

1  Thank Gail T
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

We ate dinner at Circa on our last night in town. The escargot was very good, as was the service. The filet and ribeye were average. Honestly I was a little underwhelmed with Circa. I’m not sure if it was all of the fantastic food we had leading up to our last dinner, or if it was just average fair. The atmosphere was great, but I left feeling like I might have missed something with the food. To sum it up, if you’re looking for ambiance and an average meal, this is the place.

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our meal here. It is a piece of Paris in Savannah. The place truly represents a traditional bistro in a central neighborhood in Paris. We were taken quickly to our seats and we could enjoy the beautiful posters and Decour of the place as we were ushered to our table. The menu is similar to a classic Parisian bistro and we had the onion soup, escargot, and the seafood crepes. I must say that their onion soup is the best I’ve ever had at any French restaurant in the United States. It wasn’t salty, had plenty of onion in it, and it was perfectly covered with melted Gruyere cheese. Julia Childs would’ve been proud! The escargot was also perfect. The seafood crepes were absolutely perfectly prepared with a mild creamy sauce that highlighted the seafood’s flavor. The only issue we had was that the salad special for the day had way too much dressing on it but they were happy to repair the problem and bring a new salad with the dressing on the side. If you miss Paris, you will not after having dinner at this place. We had an enjoyable dinner, and throughout our meal we reminisced over our several visits to Paris, which only made us think of visiting Paris again. Well done! Merci!

Date of visit: September 2018