“Beautiful canopy”

Ranked #35 of 166 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A breathtaking live oak avenue leads visitors one mile down a colonial road to a vistor center, where they can watch short historical film, tour a museum, and browse a gift shop. A walking trail leads to the 1737 tabby ruins of the oldest remaining structure in the Savannah. Trails meander past scenic marsh views to the Colonial Life Area, where costumed interpreters provide living history demonstrations in the afternoons, weather permitting. Five more miles of nature trails are available for those who are more adventurous.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Must see for the canopy of live oaks. Interesting history about the place but not a whole lot else to see. The footprint of the original house is somewhat interesting.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 367)
All reviews
"per adult"
in 18 reviews

77 - 81 of 1 367 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

This stop was recommended by an employee at Henry's where we had breakfast. It is a beautiful spot that you can wander around for hours. There are miles of trails and it is a very easy walk.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This place is the story of “Nobel Jones” who was the first European settler and it continues all the way to the current family. When you first enter the park you will need to buy a pass. Then, you will travel down a mile gravel road with the most beautiful 100 year old live oaks on both sides. When you arrive at the visitors center you can watch a video of the history and visit the modest museum. Inside the museum you will find the families inheritance of the land though the years. Outside you can walk the trails down to the river to the remains of the first house that was built plus there are some other things to see. The grandson of “Nobel Jones” built a house that is on your left as you drive down the mile driveway but it is kept behind locked gates because it is still owned by the family. Each generation that has lived there has continued to build on it and add to it so that it is now a Beautiful White southern plantation house, but you can’t see it very well from the road. If you have ever seen the movie “The Last Song,” it is the same house that Liam Hemsworth’s character lived in for the movie. (Many parts of the movie were filmed here.)

2  Thank GoPlaces617510
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We went primarily to see the beautiful trees - the longest live oak tree lined road in the USA. We paid the $10 each and drove slowly down the lane. We watched the 12 minute video about the place in the visitors center. It was informative. I expected the setup in the welcome center to be a little more professional looking (rather than a small TV on a cart in the middle of a room. They did have posters up from the many movies that have been filmed on the property. As many have mentioned, you won't get into (or hardly see) the family's house. The family no longer own it at all - but own a large house near the property. We went on the free tour. It was done by a nice young man wearing "historic" clothing. He didn't act in character - but did walk us around the property. It was informative and he did answer quite a few questions. We saw the ruins of the original house. We learned a lot about the family and their history. I am not a history buff but enjoy a bit of history - this was enough for me but I wasn't bored. Is it worth $10 a person? I went expecting only the beautiful view for $10 - figuring the tour was just a bonus. I though the tour added quite a bit - but not like it would if you had a history professor leading it. Still - worth it to me (I wouldn't take my four kids there - not for $10 a person). If it was $5 a person I might have given it 5 stars.

1  Thank Timothy O