“Not normal slice of carrot cake”

The Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 138 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Price range: US$10 - US$36
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

If we had not ordered the carrot cake for dessert, this might have been a five dot/star review. However, when we ordered it “to share”, the server did not tell us that the slice serves six people. Same for the menu. Nowhere did it state that this is much, much more than a slice of cake for dessert. When it was brought to the table, we were aghast. We don’t eat such portions, and we, certainly, would never have ordered it had we known. Sorry, but I think that is deceitful. It should be plainly stated that the slice of this cake is so big.

Yesterday (6/27) was a rainy, dreary, cool day, when we stopped here for lunch. It was nice inside, and everybody was nice and welcoming. We ordered two bowls of the “Maryland Crab Soup”. There were no chunks, or bites of crab in the soup, but it was hot, good, and nourishing. We, also, had two glasses of red house wine. Afterwards, we decided we wanted to share a piece of cake, and since I love carrot cake, that is what we ordered. I have to admit that the cake was very delicious, but, we left 80% of it, as to eat such a huge piece is not even healthy.

2  Thank NYU62
Write a ReviewReviews (1 612)

110 - 114 of 1 612 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I have been to this restaurant many times and never been disappointed. The big plus on this day was the air conditioning and soft seats after biking for several hours! I've tried many dishes and they have all been good. This time I got the Lucca grilled chicken sandwich topped with artichoke dip, bacon, swiss cheese and pepper jack cheese. It was very good. My husband got the Tri Me sandwich, basically a turkey and ham sandwich on a Kaiser roll (normally served on a pretzel roll). He really liked it, too. The batter fries were hot and crispy. We ordered chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting for dessert. It was really delicious, but could have easily fed 6 people, no joke. I would order it to share with 4-6 people unless you want to take home leftovers. Our wait staff have always been very friendly and attentive. I do notice that the food always takes a while to come out, but if you are having a nice conversation, who cares? This is my favorite Gettysburg restaurant. Even though I got a sandwich this time, I highly recommend their salads. They are huge and served with soft pretzel sticks on the side.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We had dinner at the pub and it was just ok. Beware of menus that have everything you can imagine. We sat at the bar and the bartenders were very attentive. I had the ribs and I was very particular in asking if they were good and was assured that they were. The ribs were served cold and had to be returned for heating up. Basically it is a pub and the food is just ok - while being pricey.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Located right in the heart of Gettysburg on the town square, you can't beat this for location. The food is always yummy and there is so much to choose from. The staff is friendly and the decor and atmosphere are very inviting. The pub/bar side can get quite rowdy on a busy weekend and there is often a long wait to eat in the dining room (A testament to their popularity!) Be prepared to wait for a table on weekend evenings during tourist season as they do not take reservations.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Right on the square, the Pub has a nice patio in front and plenty of seating inside. Love the decor inside in the royal blue color...very nice.
Menu: We liked several of their items on the menu.
Service: Excellent and friendly!
Food: Excellent - fresh and lotz of flavor.
Bathrooms are a trip up the steps.
Hint: If you can't find a place in front to park, there are several places on other streets and a short walk. They are metered...

Been to The Pub & Restaurant? Share your experiences!