“Great find”

Puyero Venezuelan Flavor
Ranked #1 201 of 4 612 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A delicious choice for lunch for those craving something with South American flavors. The atmosphere of the restaurant was bright and cheerful, the staff were all very accommodating.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Small cozy place. Delicious Venezuelan food. Not a big variety of choices, but the arepas are absolutely delicious and the Patacon is to die for. The owners are very welcoming.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

As me and my girl are always up for trying new places or cuisine, we decided to check out Puyero, late on a Friday a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure what to expect cause I didn't even have time to check out the menu online before we walked in, but I was really impressed. Spotless and well lit, this quant little spot has the walls painted with colorful art that pops and just past that right before you get to the counter they offer a giant wall of mini clipboards with menus so you don't have to ask. I really liked that, you'd think that it was a no brainer to have menus out for people just in case they can't see the big one behind the counter or want to step aside out of other people's way cause they can't decide. Well guess what? A lot of places only give them upon request and by then your already at the counter and they expect you to be ready to order?? Anyway, I felt like this place has a really nice set up. You look at the menus, order what you want, they offer you your drinks right then or ask if you'd like them to come with the food, and then you take a seat and they bring it out.
We were struggling to order cause it all looked great, the gentleman at the counter was so nice, he literally explained how large items were, how much food would be to much, and even let us taste the home made lemonade and ice tea to help us decide on drinks. So we ordered 4 things, 2 Arapas(a sandwich made using fried corn cakes as the bun), a Cachapa(sort of a wrap, except folded on half, using a corn fritter pancake as the tort) and a side of plantains.
Everything was sooooo good!! We over ordered but we didn't care cause we wanted to taste a couple different things so it was worth it! The staff was super friendly and helpful, they checked on us more than most full service restaurants would have and made us really love the place. But more than that they made us wanna come back and bring friends and family!! Before we left we had already told several friends how great it was and sent them pictures of the food. This is how you do it, fast, friendly and clean!! This is my kinda spot! I hope people check this place out, it's definitely worth trying!!

Reviewed 28 July 2017

I had been looking forward to this visit, having spent a month down in Venuzeula when I was younger, and it was just a bust. South Street address with a trendy approach, but it was inauthentic, and worse, just wasn't very good. Nobody in my party of three thought it was particularly good, save for the arepa itself and the sauces you can add to give flavor to whatever they stuffed them with. Sorry to say, would have been better off with a cheese steak from around the corner.

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Authentic Venezuelan street food. Owners are from Venezuela. Small quaint place but the food and service fantastic. Worth the trip