Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
PricelineUS$109
Hotels.comUS$121
Expedia.comUS$121
eDreamsUS$109
TravelocityUS$121
HurbUS$125
All reviews opera house death valley furnace creek non profit one of a kind bygone era historic place ghost town wild horses national park marta becket murals desert ballerina audience plumbing vegas
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 November 2020

Alright - this is not your normal hotel, so if that is your expectation or your need, you are going to be seriously disappointed.

As one who loves the old and the funky and the theater, I was really looking forward to our visit, which took place during the pandemic - as we wanted to both travel and to avoid people, which perfectly merged with the Amargosa Opera House and Hotel.

First, although it is but an hour and a half by car from Las Vegas, do not do as we did and make it the first stop of your desert tour. Go trip around the Mohave and Death Valley for a while and settle into the whole desert vibe before you visit here.

Second, try to accept the hotel as my title suggests - you are going to visit a museum that happens to have rooms you can rent for the night.

It IS funky - but if you are into old stuff, you will see the potential of this place is incredible!

It is managed by a non profit, carrying on the vision of a dancer/actor who saw the desert and became one with that desert.

Now it simply needs a bunch of people sharing that vision to contribute the needed funds to make the dusty front area into a beautiful desert garden, or refurbish the lobby and main hallway, or make minor adjustments to the rooms.

It is a work in perpetual progress, and to stay there is to be part of that progress.

Go through their website for the details.

When we visited, the cafe was closed due to Covid, so rather than drive the 7 or so miles to the nearest casino/cafe, we took our trusty propane stove outside to a picnic table to make breakfast before heading off.

The staff were great in accommodating our late arrival, and they were all around a very friendly bunch of folks welcoming travelers to their museum.

Do check it out!

Date of stay: November 2020
1  Thank jimgX5913UZ
Reviewed 14 March 2020

The Amargosa is the closest and most reasonably priced lodging if visiting Death Valley National Park. Don't expect all the modern conveniences of newer hotels/motels (hence only a 4 rating rather than a 5), but if you like unique hotels with interesting history, this place is worth a stay. It is a little worn, but very clean, and the staff are friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The on-premises cafe has limited hours (8-3 during our stay), but the hot meals and baked goods are very tasty. Ice, coffee, tea, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, plates, etc are available for guests in the large hotel common area. It's ideal for preparing meals brought by guests and for meeting other travelers. If you are fortunate enough to stay at the Amargosa (or within close driving distance (e.g. Pahrump or Las Vegas) over a weekend, another worthwhile activity is attending a performance at the attached Amargosa Opera House, where a variety of musical and dance performances are staged. We saw "Opera in the Movies" presented by several members of the Las Vegas Opera company. The performance was excellent and the setting provided an historical experience that would be difficult if not impossible to duplicate. It is memorable! Enjoyed our stay very much!

Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank crash1966
Reviewed 5 March 2020

This is a fantastic place to stay if you are visiting Death Valley National Park and don't want to camp or pay the prices at the Oasis. It's a very easy in-and-out of the primary park attractions in Furnace Creek. But the Amargosa Opera House much more than that. The place is beautiful and historic, and the staff are *superbly* friendly. I haven't felt so welcomed in a hotel in years. It was like making new friends. Also, there are Opera House cats.

I will note that the place is run by a nonprofit and so is somewhat rundown (it's old) and the aging plumbing is difficult to use. These things didn't bother me, but they might bother others. The cafe is only open for breakfast and lunch, and only on certain days of the week, but the food there was absolutely delicious, and, again, the service was great. For dinner, you have to drive at least 7 miles in each direction to another town. If you want to explore the desert, these are just some things you have to expect. The park is amazing, and I think the friendliness here more than makes up for the inconvenience factors.

Room tip: The rooms on the parking lot side allow you to sit out on the walkway and enjoy the stars.
Date of stay: March 2020
4  Thank elizabethz179
Reviewed 17 February 2020

This hotel and opera house is a great place to stay if you're in Death Valley and you're looking for an odd, interesting, and pretty affordable hotel. My wife and I stayed two nights and really enjoyed it. It's probably not for everyone though - it's not so luxurious and it's kind of old. But you're in the middle of the desert and within easy access to Death Valley National Park without having to pay $400 a night for one of the park hotels near Furnace Creek! My wife thought it was a little creepy (it was quiet and remote, with only the sound of the wind rattling the windows at night), but I thought that was a big part of the appeal. The opera house is also great - make sure to find a time for a tour before you leave the area. If you like unique experiences that will leave you with a good story, check out the Amargosa Hotel.

Date of stay: February 2020
6  Thank 99jonk
Reviewed 16 February 2020

I never write any reviews but in this case I have to because I never experienced anything like that before. We booked the hotel for one night and left early in the morning to see the sunrise in death valley. when we wanted to return to the hotel we got stranded at the death valley because the whole valley was out of electricity and there was no gas available at any of the gasstations there. Our plan to get back and check out didn't work out as we hoped to and we called the hotel to let them know about the misery. The woman on the phone said it was no problem we can get our luggage any time as soon as we are able to drive out of the valley. we did so and checked out a few hours later than planned via self check out (she told us to leave the keys in a box). A few days later I checked my visa account and saw that they charged another night. An unauthorized payment was charged on my credit card for a second night that we didn't book or use. When communicating with the manager she assumed we were lying about our check out and didn't want to refund the second night. After explaining to her that we were already in Las vegas and proving with a receipt that we didn't spend another night at the hotel she refunded 50% of that second night we never booked. the receptionist didn't tell us anything about extra charges for a late check out so I still don't understand why they charged us something. The whole communication was really bad. I tried to call a couple of times and left a message on their machine and never heard back until I emailed via booking.com. I have never experienced anything like that. The manager assumed I was lying even when I showed her a receipt from las vegas that we were indeed not at amargosa another night..
I am not a person to make a scene and I have never written a bad review but I just think this is really bad service and bad management.
I would not recommend booking this hotel!

Date of stay: February 2020