“2-day excursion in Cuyahoga National Park”

Cuyahoga Valley National Park
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We made this girl’s trip because my mom (88) wanted to see it. Concerned about the length and difficulty of the sights, we stopped in at the welcome center at the north end of the park. This clean building houses the story of the canal, the locks, history and visual aids to explain the area’s history. Very helpful park personnel took her time to point out every point of interest to us and was able to give us details regarding each spot we wanted to visit, where to eat, shop, park, everything. She even was focused on us when the phone rang a few times. (If you call and they don’t pick up, they may be helping someone, leave a voicemail, your call will be returned). I might add, just for fun, pick up a National Park Passport and earn your stamps during this visit. Nine to be exact.
Our adventure started by visiting the falls just outside the National Park. We doubled back and drove the main road down to Penisula for lunch. This is a cute little town. The railroad goes right thru it, there is a cycle shop to buy or rent your bikes or shop at a few of the cute shops.
After lunch we searched out the remaining falls. Now, I’m a Michigander and we have and I have travelled and viewed a lot of falls, gorges, formations, etc. these are not spectacular falls however, as a whole, I think it’s worth a trip. This is why: the area is pretty, the people are nice, the National Park is VERY clean and well kept. The trails are nice trails. They are wide, well maintained and safe.
Day two we boarded the train at Rockside. We purchased our tickets on line and was not an issue at all. We opted for the dome seats. I thought this might be on the lame side but I sucked it up. I was pleasantly surprised. It was actually pretty cool. The train was long with an engine at each end. It was clean and well maintained with countless volunteers to answer your questions (see review).
After our ride we headed to the trail mix stores. There are two, both have snacks, souvenirs and a park stamp. Visited the south welcome center, again, clean and helpful people waiting to help. We finished at the Beaver Marsh. This is an area to view birds, fowl, critters and maybe an otter. Take your camera and be patient.
To wrap up, the Park is worth a visit. If you are a family, there is enough to do to keep everyone happy for a day or two. The park had a lot of people enjoying it. More cyclists, joggers and health goers than kids. The bike paths and towpaths are really nice and with the train, cyclists were really enjoying their rides. There are restrooms all over. Go and enjoy this park, it’s free! Oh! No mosquitoes!

All reviews
"bridal veil falls"
in 12 reviews
"blue hen"
in 7 reviews
"hiking and biking trails"
"rented bikes"
"urban area"
"covered bridge"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

It was rainy during our visit and we weren’t prepared for the weather, so we just made a quick hike to Brandywine Falls. Beautiful! I recommend stopping at the Boston Store Visitors Center to watch the video about the history of the park.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

In addition to treating me to amazing landscapes while I'm just out to run some errands, my boyfriend and I frequent the park for weekend bike rides and it's the most beautiful place I've seen in awhile.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We took the train from Independence to Akron. Nice, clean and comfortable. The car conductors were very knowledgeable and nice to talk with. Once in Akron, there was a free shuttle bus that took you to several drop-off locations. You had plenty of time to see and do many activities. Great trip, we are already talking about when we will go again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited this Park twice in the two days we were visiting the area: we were so impressed the first day, we went back to a different area on the second day. A bonus is there is no charge for entry. On the first day we went to the visitor centre where there were very helpful volunteers who gave us suggestions for spending our day. On the trail we met other volunteers who were very informative about the wildlife in the area. We walked from Boston to Peninsula – easy walking through different habitats – prairie, riparian, wetlands and woodland. There are also interesting industrial archaeological remains from the time when the canal was functioning. We also visited the Brandywine falls – picturesque falls with well situated walks and overlooks. On the second day we went to the canal exploration centre where there are excellent displays explaining the history of the canal along with interesting artefacts. We had a pleasant walk along the towpath to other sites of archaeological interest.

1  Thank susiedu