“Great food and close to the theatre!”

Gallagher's Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gallagher's Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 14 805 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$50 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: A, C & E trains to 50th Street and 8th Avenue, 1 train to 50th Street, and N, R & W trains to 49th Street.
Description: Gallaghers Steakhouse is an American steakhouse established in New York City in 1927. Located just steps from the dazzling lights of Broadway and the pulsing energy of Times Square, Gallaghers Steakhouse takes its rightful place at the very heart of New York City. For over 87 years, this is where the city's sports teams have announced their wins, where celebrities take their bows, and Wall Street titans toast their deals. With its trademark combination of the best USDA prime dry-aged steak, a classic cocktail list, and a wait staff that never forgets a name, Gallaghers serves up an authentic New York City experience you'll savor for years to come.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We ate at Gallagher's Steak House and loved the food. We had soft shelled crabs and a wedge salad plus dessert. It was all good and the ambiance was delightful. There are steaks curing in the entryway. You can see the chefs cooking in two directions. Overall good food and close to the theatre. A winning combination. Highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (4 098)

52 - 56 of 4 101 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

In order to quaify as a great steak house it is impoortant that the meat is top quality and properly aged. The steak must be coked just the way the customer wants and the side dishes need to be of a similar quality. Finally the service must be perfect. Gallaghers has it all. When you enter the restaurnat you can see the meat that is kept for 28 days in the ideal setting. The tables are large enough to hold all of the large dishes as each of the sides is more that enough for 2 or 3 people. The waiters are wonderful. Not only do they know the meat and sides but are also great sources of general information on many topics such as sightseeing. Put all together Gallaghers has the best, food, service and overall setting. We will certainly return on our next NY trip.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

This dining experience was to be the highlight of the week vacation especially since my family has been going to Gallaghers for several decades and they were well known by the staff back then. Unfortunately our experience fell short just a bit. Sometimes things just go wrong but since they tried everything to make it right, we would definitely return for a second time. We were there on a holiday Monday and it was very quiet. We sat at the bar and were taken care of by Greg. We started with a couple stellar martinis. We shared the lobster cocktail that was recommended by a regular diner there. It was ok, but we wish we would have stayed with our first thoughts which were the clams casino. We then shared the NY Sirloin which was sliced and had the creamed spinach as a side which was supposed to be half priced when dining at the bar. We ended up being charged full price and did not realize until after we left. The food was outstanding and we each had a glass of a very expensive Charles Krug Cab for $20 a glass. It was very good but not for that price. We could not finish our steak so we asked for it to go. About 10 minutes later, Greg came over and was very apologetic telling us they had given our steak to someone else by mistake. Oh boy, were we disappointed since it was $51 and we had only eaten almost half of it. Greg offered to make us another one but we had to go...he then asked if we wanted another glass of wine or dessert? We declined as we had to go. We really wanted to go back the next day as Greg said they would make up for what had gone wrong but we just did not have time. I wish we asked for a gift certificate then we could have used it for the next time we were in town or at least order their steak online. Oh well..despite the mistakes that occurred we still had an enjoyable time.

Reviewed 28 June 2018

My husband and I recently joined some friends for a birthday dinner celebration while in NYC. It was great! P.J. was an outstanding waiter and was very attentive. Our steak/food was done to perfection. Everything was great!

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Went for dinner here the other night with the wife and 2 daughters for a pre show dinner. Ordered the wedge and the dumplings for apps. Both excellent. Then I ordered the bone in steak medium for me and the wife and the 2 daughters ordered the large filet, medium rare. plus the mac n cheese and creamed spinach. Well.... there went the meal. The filet came out well done and my bone in came out rare. UUgggg. Both went back with the standard " oh .. I'm sorry.. the kitchen is kind of crazy tonight " coming from my server. really ?? Lets see. You are a steakhouse cooking steaks for 50 + years. YOU HAVE 1 JOB. COOK THE STEAKS THE WAY PEOPLE ASK FOR THEM. BY NOW ... YOU SHOULD HAVE THIS PROCESS DOWN COLD. The "manager" comes over with the same " I'm sorry". They both come back out 10 minutes later fine. But by then of course we already ate the 2 sides and we're all in a bad mood. So .... what is the ONLY way to possibly make the dinner right and hope for me to want to come again in the future ? Its to offer something off my bill OR offer dessert or something, right ? That's the way they can say "I'm sorry" the right way. NOPE .... nada .... Well ... take a wild guess where I won't be returning again ? I only chose this restaurant because of convenience ... because its right across the street from the theatre. Otherwise I never come to this kind of steakhouse when I can go to Del Frisco's, Keen's , now Mastro's. Top notch steakhouses that are 100 % on their game.