“Dinner with friends at John’s of 12th Street”

John's of 12th Street
Ranked #929 of 15 768 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East Village
Description: Serving red-sauce Italian specialties in the East Village since 1908. Traditional old school classics and vegan versions available. Old school goes back to school!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is old. Founded in 1908. I think they have some of the original staff. Food is ok, not great. Place has some charm & character. They have the remains of old candles that have burning since 1930. Looks like a mini version of the alps. I won’t be back.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Love everything about John's of 12th Street but hope that one day they will consider adding NON vegan cannoli's to their menu. They serve a vegan cannoli that is pretty good if you are in the market for one, BUT please add non-vegan to your menu for those of us who want one for dessert. Otherwise, always an excellent experience and good luck to new management. Everything seems the same so we will keep going.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

John's is a great little spot. We came in with a reservation for 8. The restaurant is small, so we were pretty cramped. Meatballs, antipasto, bruschetta to start. All delicious. Dinner was manicotti, various parmesan dinners and the ragu, all done extremely well. Service wasnt that great, but the food is!

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We came here for dinner with family who didn’t want to eat at a vegan restaurant, so we compromised at John’s, where we could have a separate vegan menu and everyone else could get meat and dairy. Everyone was happy with their dishes and really loved the food. We had the vegan fettuccine alfredo and for my first couple of bites, I was unsure if it was actually vegan! It was, by far, the best vegan fettuccine I’ve ever had! We went for dinner on a Saturday night and it was absolutely slammed. That being said, our waiter was super attentive and friendly. Overall, it was a fantastic place for a large group of both vegans and omnivores!

1  Thank Sabrina B
Reviewed 11 May 2018 via mobile

On the recommendation of one of the people in the office we decided to go to John's for our last dinner in NYC. We took the Metro to Union Square and had to walk for a few minutes, but not a long walk.

On their website they say to call for reservations. I called when they opened at 4:00pm for a reservation and they said that it was "not that busy" that night so it should not be a problem regardless of the time we decide to come. We walked in around 7:00pm and were seated immediately.

On there business card they say " over 100 years of Italian home cooking." We would soon find out. We reviewed the menu and I decided on the Veal Cutlet Parmigiana and my associate ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana. Both orders came with spaghetti and sauce.

Before the meals came they brought over bread and butter. One of the things that I dislike when getting bread and butter is when the butter is served cold, not room temperature, so you are unable to spread it on the bread because it is hard. Also the bread did not taste entirely fresh. We both commented that it seemed that the bread was a little stale.

When the meals came they were very large portions...the veal, eggplant and the spaghetti. We swapped tastes of each of our meals. I am not a big eggplant fan, but the eggplant parmigiana was very good. The veal parmigiana was prepared well, but I was a little underwhelmed. I expected a little more flavor to the sauce. The entree was good, but I wanted a little more.

For dessert my associate ordered the tiramisu. What was different about theirs was that it was served in an old fashioned tall ice cream sundae glass. It was a unique way to serve it. It was also very good.

Again, as I have done in the past, John's is better than average (3), but not quite very good (4). I would rank it at a very solid 3.5. The service and staff were all very nice, friendly and attentive.

John's has a full bar and also offers vegan versions of some of their dishes.

When I come back to NYC I will try other Italian restaurants in a city that has so many to choose from.