“Hated this place, but was won over”
Review of Union Square Cafe

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Gramercy Park
Cross street: 5th Ave. and Union Square W.
Transit: Take the 4, 5, 6, N, R or L subway trains to the 14th Street/Union Square stop.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

When I was a kid I dreamed of going here because of the special place this restaurant had on the Food Network, but I was very disappointed with the snobby bartender who treated me with contempt because I was young and had little money to spend. I never came back again and always hated this place!

I recently came to the new location for a business dinner and was blown away by the service, the food, the wine selection, the olives and bread, the atmosphere...everything.

The moral of this story is - sometimes you get a nasty waiter or bartender, you should always give a place a second chance.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 219)

28 - 32 of 1 219 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I became a devotee of USC from its second year until it moved
from 16th St. to its current location. It had the Danny Meyer
magic touch, from the innovative fare to the wisely selected
wait staff which, in my experience, consisted of men and
women with excellent educational backgrounds (Master's and
PhD's were not uncommon), opera singers, actors, writers...and this intelligence was reflected in their service. Even now, at its
new location (a bit north of the original), USC is a target for the
selective restaurant-goer. The only drawback is reserving a table
with less than a month's waiting time.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

USC has been my favorite restaurant for years. I don't get there often, given I don't live in NYC, but I go once (sometimes twice) every time I am in the city and am never disappointed. This past weekend was no exception. Everyone at the restaurant, from the wonderful women at the front stand to the bus staff to my waiter, Aaron (terrific) is warm and genuine and killer at their jobs. And the food can't be beat. The house salad remains the best salad I've ever eaten in my life. Ditto the lamb chops which come with an amazing potato gratin and lovely spinach. All the vegetable sides are divine as well. And terrific cocktails and wine. Truly, for lunch or dinner, USC cannot be beat.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

It was our first time back after their long renovation and we were not disappointed. Favorite items on the menu are as good as ever: bibb salad, fritto misto, ricotta gnocchi, roast chicken, pork chop and USC burger. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu but I feel it is with the pastas that they shine. We had the gnocchi and the candele which were so light and flavorful but sauced delicately. Union Square is known for its restraint and where less is actually more. I always see a celebrity when I eat there (this time it was Cynthia Nixon) but it is never a loud, happening celebrity kind of place. Low key, like most Danny Meyer's places but always packed. There are few tourists because unless you know your schedule 30 days in advance, reservations are hard to get. Prices include tips, so no surprises.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Even better than expected and expectations were high. First experience with no tipping and sevice was fine. I had polenta then calamari with oysters. Absolutely fantastic and large portions for a two appetizer meal. Spouse’s medium rare tuna burger cooked perfectly and house prepared potato chips were wonderful.
Do not miss this one!