“So-so”

Sapphire Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Sapphire Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 431 of 14 744 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 60th/61st
Transit: A,B,C,D 19 Columbus Circle
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was the third time at Sapphire, but it was different in that my partner and I had a
guest, in from Los Angeles. Before she moved, this woman and I had enjoyed Indian fare downtown. All three of us agreed that he food was no better than average, the
service was average, the atmosphere was acceptable (that is, not too noisy), and the
prices a tad more than warranted. Our visitor recalled how superior our dining
experience was at Tamirand (on Hudson St.). from the food to the service to the
general feeling of the place. WhereasTamirand charges more, one leaves satisfied
that it was worth it.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We had a very nice dinner before a performance at Lincoln Center - aloo gobi and chicken tikka masala with garlic naan and basmati rice with vegetables. As we usually do at Indian restaurants, we asked for raita - and were shocked to see we were charged for it on our bill.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

This restaurant has a prime location... near Columbus Circle and Lincoln Center. Hence, it is a busy place. But, for me, the dining experience was underwhelming. I will simply summarize the reasons for this assessment: (1) Prices are relatively upscale; (2)... But the cuisine is not; (3) Also, some clever copywriters have worked on the menu.. The Sesame Shrimp appetizer was very nicely described but ended up being 4 small shrimps in a nondescript sauce; (4) Another dish we tried - Chicken Jhalfrazie - was okay, tastewise; but underspiced -- presumably to cater to a non-discriminating western palate; (5) Unlike most Indian restaurants that provide a side of rice, this one does not... every morsel is priced separately; (6) Rice and bread preparations are ho-hum.

So, essentially you are paying for the white tablecloths and the male waiters in ties... not for exquisite food. Food is okay... just not reaching any level of excellence.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Although the food was good, I've never encountered such surly, unfriendly service in my life.Not a smile from anyone and waiters were both impatient and intrusive.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

This place closed way too early on a Friday night (10.30) and really doesn’t answer the question, i.e. I asked do you close at 10.30 or do you take last orders at 10.30? They just wouldn’t answer. The food was satisfactory but nothing to write home about. Very pricey though. Surprisingly the biryani has no sauce accompanying it - most unusual - so when the waiter told me that I ordered a curry dish instead. The beer has to me the most expensive in town, at $12.95 a bottle (+ taxes etc.). Even so I would have had another bottle but wasn’t sure if I had time - if they could have just let me know but they wouldn’t or couldn’t. Very strange. Anyway, with the service charge and the tips they were expecting this place is certainly not cheap.