“Pre-Broadway Show Dinner”

Cuisines: American, Irish
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Established in 2000. Playwright Celtic Pub is the second act of the successful Playwright franchise here in New York City! In the heart of the theater district and just steps from Hell's Kitchen, the Playwright welcomes locals and visitors alike for 4 floors of Irish welcome!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Not truly a review as we didn't get to eat here. Called to make a reservation on Monday, 3/26 for dinner before a Broadway show on 3/30. Called to verify a couple hours before the reservation (before walking over) and were told we did not have a reservation. Verified phone number from original call and it was the same. So, whoever took our reservation either didn't write it down or they overbooked and cancelled our party of 3...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wonderful fish and chips; and chicken pot pie. Service was pretty good but the waitress had too many tables so we waited a bit longer than we wanted. Very close to the Ambassador Theater. I highly recommend it despite the wait for our food came out fast.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We discovered this place on the way back from the theatre one evening. We made it our local and visited 4 times in a week. Always good. The barmen we dealt with were great - Owen and Diarmuid. Full marks to both of them. And we were there on St Patricks Day when they were very busy. Other times, the bar had plenty of customers.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you’re looking for an Irish bar, this is not it. Whenever my husband and I go away, we always go to an Irish bar. This is the one we chose because it was convenient at the time.

I was expecting more from this bar/restaurant. There were no Ireland flags, no Irish music, just some Classic Irish dishes on the menu and left over Guinness flags from St. Patrick’s Day. Needless to say, we were disappointed and unimpressed.

We also ate dinner here and that was surprisingly good. We ordered the bruschetta for an appetizer and salads for our main meal. The bruschetta was interesting and I honestly didn’t read the description because it’s bruschetta. I’ve never had bruschetta with prosciutto before and it was flavorful with the basil. I had the Grafton Street Salad topped with grilled chicken, walnuts, dried cranberries and Brie.

Overall, it seemed more sports bar than Irish bar. Even though salads were good, I would not go back because it didn’t feel like an Irish bar and that was what I was expecting.

1  Thank Jamie C
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We ate lunch here and it was very nice. Great location right near Broadway. The portions were good and the so were the drinks. Server was nice, but not Irish!