“Hop Kee did not disappoint”
Review of Hop Kee Restaurant

Hop Kee Restaurant
Ranked #1 928 of 15 768 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed the Cantonese style crab, Cantonese style lobster, escargot, and curry chicken. Even enjoyed ice cold Chinese beers, which are not on the menu. The staff was very accommodating. I am a big fan of Anthony Bourdain and I enjoyed going there and seeing his pictures throughout the restaurant right after his unfortunate passing. The food was so good we returned a few days later before we left New York for one more round. This will now be one of our regular stops when we visit NYC.

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

This little gem looks nothing from the outside and is very basic inside BUT WOW the food is really good! Portions are huge so don’t be tempted to over-order. The staff were really helpful and gave us friendly advice when he thought we were under-estimating sizes of dishes. We were glad we took his advice because we would have had way too much food otherwise. As someone who’d never been to NYC Chinatown, I trawled through the reviews on Tripadvisor and I was so glad I found this little gem of a place. Well worth the wait for a table - be patient, it’ll be well worth it!

Reviewed 18 June 2018

It is located downstairs which is considered better luck than being located upstairs. The quality and portions are excellent. I ordered Roast Pork Egg Foo Young which is my favorite and my friend got Beef with Broccoli. We also had egg rolls. Their soups are great bit it was a little to warm for soup.

Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Wow Hop Kee! Excuse me! I never really enjoyed Chinese food as much before, but Hubby has successfully influenced me. Back in the days, when he was a teenager, he used to come to Chinatown because long time ago the only food places you see past midnight were located in Chinatown. So ok, this time we decided to try Hop Kee. It's the basement restaurant so we walked downstairs and found 2 dining areas, wow, pretty big place. The restaurant is very bright and yes I saw my delicious meals perfectly! When we used the bathroom to wash our hands, we noticed the bathroom is clean. We ordered the crab Chinese style. Chinese style means dried sauce, as you can see from the picture. This style was too good not to try. If you like crab, try this dish. Highly recommended. Hubby also ordered beef with string beans. I didn't try the beef but I had the string beans, pretty good. Hubby liked this dish. The third dish was salt and pepper shrimp. It was jumbo shrimp so we got a lot of meat from this one. I liked this as much as the crab dish but both were very different in taste but both were so tasty! We enjoyed our meals and decided to come back and try other dishes as well. The food wasn't oily. The service was great. Our waiter was friendly and attentive and didn't mind joking around. Experienced waiters. It was crowded at dinner time. Glad we had delicious meals here.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

We've been eating at Hop Kee for 30 plus years and it never disappoints. It is traditional Cantonese food, with NYC prices. Once you order, they still serve black tea and fried noodles with duck sauce and mustard. The quality of the food is always good. We especially like their seafood dishes, the Salted Shrimp in the shell is one of our usual and favorite dishes. Or the Crab with little bits of pork in a sauce that you need to lick off your fingers for fear of missing out. There are so many delectable choices you can't go wrong. But make sure you have CASH they don't take credit cards. And yes, the waiters aren't the warmest but they are accommodating and the food comes out quickly. We love knowing what to expect, never having been disappointed and the fact that decor has not changed since they opened.
We eat there when we get together with friends, when we are shopping in Chinatown, when we have jury duty, and when we just want great seafood prepared Cantonese style. Yum Yum! You will not be disappointed if you know what to expect. Anthony Bourdain eats there and he knows good food.