See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

I had two nights booked, by a friend. Knew it was an economy hotel, knew there would be basic amenities & shared facilities. But, after checking in & going to my “room”, I was there a grand total of 15 minutes before deciding I couldn’t stay there. Rooms don’t have floor to ceiling walls, felt dirty, unsafe & unsettling. I am by no means a precious traveller, I have stayed in hostels worldwide, in some countries that are third-World (or borderline), and seen/experienced nothing like this. I have to say the desk clerk was very understanding & helpful, so kudos for that, but the hotel - not for stay.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank 23BigMarv
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

I checked in and got in my room. My first thought was, “Am I in prison?!?”
The room was terrible. It was on the second floor so if you have heavy luggages, well, you finished your daily workout right there.
The room had a bed, a fan, pillow (not even mention those were not very clean.) I had to use my luggage as a small desk to put stuffs on.
I don’t know why they called it “Hotel?!?” I rather stay at a motel (even Motel 6) and would probably get better experience than this.

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Caleb P
Reviewed 26 February 2018

After, quite unfortunately, spending some months away from NYC, I moved back to the city and needed a cheap place to stay while I squared away my new living arrangements. So I booked 5 nights at the "illustrious" Bowery Grand Hotel. I was wondering why it's got the word grand in it until I realized it's on Bowery and Grand St. in Chinatown. So that's where that comes from. Cause there ain't nothing grand about this place.

Now there's a ton of bashing of this place on every review site and some of it might be merited, but I mean seriously people, you're paying anywhere between 35 and 45 bucks a night for a place to sleep in in Chinatown. The price varies on whether it's a weeknight or the weekend and the size of your cell, eeerrrrr, I mean your room. You really get what you pay for.

Folks, these are not rooms! These are individual, closed-off, rectangular units that fit a twin size bed, a folding chair and a mini trash bin. THAT'S IT! No, I'm serious that's it. No other furniture fits in there. Not a nightstand, not a TV, nothing else. There is barely enough room for the folding chair and the only other thing that fits is your luggage, if you have two backpacks like I did. If you got one of those over sized rolling suitcases on wheels it might not fit in there. Many of my fellow guests who had those types of suitcases stored them in the lobby, as the hotel provides for that. If you are a large person, vertically or horizontally, you may be uncomfortable in this place. I'm rather small at 5'6, 150 lbs and kept bumping into the wall when moving about the cell. The ceiling is high but if your arms are long enough you can extend them both out and touch both walls. I've never been in prison (knocks on wood), but I do believe actual prison cells must be larger for humanitarian purposes. At least in the US.

IT'S. SMALL. IN. THAT. PLACE.

Now by this point I trust you've gotten the idea that this is not a penthouse. If you haven't, what can I say? This site won't let me swear at you. That point aside, if you're considering this place, which I do recommend actually for the budget-conscience traveler, you should do so having beforehand considered that this will only be a place for you to crash during your visit to NYC. It's just a place to sleep at night. The location could not be more convenient for an urban explorer. It's smack in the middle of Chinatown and Little Italy is just a couple blocks away. The Lower East Side is also within walking distance. As mentioned before, it's located on Bowery and Grand St. and Grand St. Station, which services the D and B trains is quite literally just one minute from the front entrance. Bowery Station servicing the J and Z are one block away at Bowery and Delancey St, and Canal Street in which you can grab the 1, A, C, E, 6, J, N, Q, R, W, and the Z trains is only two blocks from the hotel. The bathrooms in the place are communal of course but there are 4 of them on the 2nd floor where I stayed, and, at least for the 5 days I spent there, there was never a wait. There was always one available. The water pressure in the showers is fine and there was always hot and cold water. Bring shower shoes (flipflops) by the way for the shower. I did not experience any problems whatsoever with any kinds of pests, mice, roaches, etc. Some reviewers have claimed bed bugs but I did not experience any of that. The staff are friendly and check in is fast and expedient if you have already made reservations but I do have to remind those not familiar with NYC, it is in Chinatown so the staff reflects that in English language fluency. But they're nice.

Overall, if you're coming to NYC on a budget and you just need a place to rest your head at night and take a shower in the morning, and that will place you in the heart of everything you've heard about of NYC, this place ain't as bad as the other reviews will have you believe. You're in New York! Go out and explore! If you're coming here to spend your entire stay in your hotel room and call for room service, GFYS. This ain't it.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
9  Thank smith110
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

Very, very basic accommodation. But clean, no-nonsense, and Ok, just what I needed. There is no way to turn off the light, so bring something to cover your eyes. Furthermore, you can hear the other guests quite clearly, so bring ear plugs too.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank martineP2793OQ
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

When we saw how close the rooms were to each other, we realised that the designer of this so called "hotel" thought "cram 'em in at any cost!" We decided the only thing to do was to laugh or cry, and as we were on holiday we decided to laugh at the situation.. Well I say laugh... it was more an incredulous laugh at the fact that this place even exists and has people staying in it.

Truly, it is disgusting. We got no sleep as we heard absolutely everything from other cells (they're not rooms) - the walls do not go up to the ceiling and there is a cage-like mesh at the top, presumably to stop guests (poor misguided souls who stay here) peeping at the other unfortunates staying here.

The smell is the worst.. it's a mixture of smoke, sweat and other unmentionable stenches all in one. The cell measured about 1.5m by 2.5m, just no room to do anything apart from lie on the very narrow bed and then fall out of it if you're lucky enough to fall asleep.

The bathrooms are shared, about 5 per floor. Dirty, stained, mould, other people's hair (head and other) in the sinks. Enough said.

Bottom line... STAY AWAY. I was worried I would catch a bug there or some disease.

I'm sure I've missed something but I really can't dwell on this experience any more. I'm now going to try and block it from my memory.

Date of stay: July 2017