“Get your receipt!”

Ranked #31 of 392 Bakeries in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We really liked the food and the upstairs dining room was a (mostly) peaceful place. We loved the choice of items and the prices seemed fair for eating in Midtown. We came there twice on our trip for breakfast. The issue is with the receipt. On your receipt is a secret code for using the bathroom. Many diners would opt for no receipt to save the paper. Then during the course of their meal they wanted to use the bathroom, only to be told that you have to have the code. The staff refuses to give the code out! I'm sure they are doing exactly as they are trained- but each day we were there a loud confrontation ensued between a patron and a staff member about using the bathroom. It was uncomfortable to witness and a little upsetting. In each case, it was clear that the customer was clearly a patron of the restaurant and had opted to dine in. A better way of resolving this issue would have resulted in a higher rating. The staff clearly are afraid to give the code out. In each case a customer that had their receipt would simply inform the customer of what the code was. We would have returned for another visit during our trip but decided we no longer wanted to support the business because of the handling of the policy. I'm fine with the restroom being reserved for patrons, the policy needs to be handled better to create a more enjoyable experience for all customers.

Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Our hotel gave us a voucher for coffee, pastry and fruit at this wonderful bakery. So every day we tried different gorgeous pastries. I had green pea filling in pastry with almonds on top several days because it was so good. Sweet potato twist yummy too.
Even before we ate breakfast there, we stopped for sweet desserts in the evening.
EVERYTHING is so pretty. And it tastes good too !

1  Thank Emily H
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

I love this place, I wish I could have a little Parisian treat everyday. Where ever you are in Paris, there’s a boulangerie nearby and this store captures its essence. Each time I’m near Times Square, I stop for something wonderful. It’s only a few blocks away. If you’re like me, Paris in New York, what could be better. Try something new, like I did, a pastry, I don’t remember the name of it I just remembered it was delicious, it brightened my day! I hope when you stop by, it does the same for you.

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

We went in here on Broadway on Tuesday 22nd of May. and ordered a toastie I repeat, toastie. (The guy who served us has a massive earring) I have never had such bad service. He looked at me like I was an alien when I asked isn’t this toasted and said people don’t get theirs toasted. My mate ordered a hot chocolate and waited 15 mins. She then tried to get their attention for 5 mins and the girl to be like, I don’t have an order but I’ll make it. As if she was doing her a favour! Good food but very disappointing for the effort that’s gone into the place to then have terrible employees who clearly hate their job. Won’t be back or recommend.

1  Thank taytaaay93
Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

The sweets bakery is so nice specially the coffee bun which is so light and flatters your coffee.
They used to have very nice bakery selection (un sweet) 2 years ago like pizza, potato and mushroom puffs.. but they don’t have anymore.
Ice coffee with milk and sugar is so refreshing.