“Bring Your Walking Shoes”

The Strand Bookstore
Ranked #10 of 894 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic landmark book store offers an enormous variety of new, used, and rare books totaling more than 18 miles, including a vast selection of out-of-print books.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

The Strand says it has 18 miles of books. I lost count, and my feet hurt. If you love books, then come here with your walking shoes and pocketbook. You will need both.

All reviews
"information desk"
"rainy day"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

You will find everything here: used and new, rare and top-selling, cool gifts, and just about every topic you can think of. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, but I found myself thoroughly enjoying the hunt and not really asking questions. If you love rare books, go to the top floor and check out the selection there. The store will ship--which makes it even easier to load up on books if you are visiting from out of town.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

The Strand remains the bookstore of choice, and truly in a class of its own in NYC. Smart staff and very well organized, even for a first time visitor. Stopped by recently for our summer reading stack. Perhaps the Information desk team could be a bit more understanding of the 10-13 year old age group learning to navigate and ask for help on their own.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

I knew I wanted to visit this store during my visit but I was still dumbstruck by it's sheer size! I would have loved to wander the aisles, and tables outside, but I didn't have enough time. However I did pick up two photography books, both "used", at a great price. Plus some lovely merchandise.

I docked one star for the very unfriendly cashier. Dude could have at least attempted to crack a smile.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 June 2018

In fact, I went there twice during my last visit to NYC. It's a great place for locating that hard-to-find book. They also have a variety of "fun" gifts: t-shirts, book bags, socks, stationary, etc. Although I enjoy the people watching at this store, one can feel overwhelmed by the number of customers there, so my advice is to go to The Strand earlier in the day if possible.
Store employees on the sales floor are usually helpful, but the people working the registers on the main floor could benefit from enrolling in a personality course. That said, The Strand is a fun place to shop for new and used books!