“Mixed bag”

Ranked #4 of 1 195 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Through commemoration, exhibitions and educational programs, The National September 11 Memorial & Museum, a nonprofit in New York City, remembers and honors the 2,983 people killed in the horrific attacks of September 11, 2001, and February 26, 1993, as well as those who risked their lives to save others and all who demonstrated extraordinary compassion in the aftermath of the attacks.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We loved visiting the museum, but we did have issues. One of the main issues was the plaques describing the displays. They were so small that you have to crowd around other visitors to read them. If your vision isn't the best, this can be frustrating.

Another issues we had was the lack of video that was offered. Even the videos that were offered, the theater was so small and jammed packed. My suggestions; let visitors immerse themselves in this experience. I realize that many victim survivors family were involved in the creation of this museum and I understand why.

But the museum staff and leaders need to recognize that many people that will visit has no fram of reference for the 9/11 attacks. Therefore, I hope adjustments can be made as time goes on. I think that visitors need to feel or understand the horror of that day.

On a positive note, the staff at the museum are above and beyond the best we've ever met at a historical site. Kudos to who trains the staff and kudos to the staff. You made our visit amazing.

Write a ReviewReviews (80 964)
All reviews
"names"
in 5 181 reviews

2 289 - 2 293 of 80 964 reviews

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Your trip to NYC probably includes some really fun and exciting stops. This isn't one of them. But, please make sure you include this in your travel plans. Just walking up the memorial brought tears to my eyes. The symbolism and magnitude are unforgettable. The museum is much larger than I expected. It was very crowded (even on a spring day), but worth the effort to stop, learn, listen and understand. This tragedy is a huge part of American history, and the artifacts will help preserve its importance. I thought it was very important to share this experience with my children, and I am glad I did.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Still can’t believe that such a heartbreaking incident could have happened. What was done afterwards with the space is extraordinarily well designed and developed. The water that flows constantly brings inner peace and all the names just bring a tear to the eye. RIP

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We pre booked the memorial walk and museum entry ahead and I would recommend this as it was very busy. The memorial walk was well worth doing, our guide was fantastic and you learnt so much more than just walking around on your own. He shared lots of stories with you, many of which were not easy to hear but you felt you had to hear them. We then went into the museum and watched the 2 short films they had, again worth doing. The museum was really well done but very difficult at points but I am so glad we made the effort to go, I think it something you have to do when you visit the city.