“More about the scene than the food”

The Bombay Bread Bar
Ranked #5 610 of 14 524 Restaurants in New York City
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Yes, the decor and Soho location are cool (think pop art-style murals, marigold streamers, etc.), but the cuisine is actually more Indian fusion-derived than the real deal; moreover, the menu is actually rather limited unto itself, with more of an emphasis on alcohol selections. It got great reviews in advance, but I honestly wasn't wildly impressed. Service was polite, but a bit scattered, frankly. For more genuine Indian fare at relatively reasonable prices, go to "Curry Hill" in midtown instead.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Electic decor including plastic table cloths are fun and it will appeal for those looking for a cool Indian restaurant and the millenials that packed the room. The cuisine is interesting but waiting around for 25 minutes to be seated, regardless of apologies from the hostess, was annoying.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our reservation was for 9:00. The place was packed. The decibel level was high. They were warm and gracious at the front door. The place has two rooms and a bar area. We secured a table in the back room and settled in for the night.

The clientele tends to skew young (at least the night we were there). They all seemed to be having a good time. Lots of selfie photos, cocktails and energetic conversation. The place looks great. We were told it was designed by someone who works on Wes Anderson films.

You can do well here by ordering a selection of small plates. The menu offers traditional Indian dishes with a western twist. Instead of onion bhaji you will get onion rings. Get the idea ?

Our selections were: leek and potato parantha, rosemary naan, beef samosas, crab cakes, onion rings and three lentil dahl. Like I said in the title: the flavours pop ! They were delicious.

A word about ordering: virtually all the dishes came out once. I know a kitchen likes to get dishes out quickly. So if you want a more leisurely meal tell your server to fire the dishes on a slower pace. We were told by one of the servers however that if you just have an hour to spare they will feed you and feed you well.

Our server was Pablo from Argentina. He offered advice on our menu selections, was polite and made us feel comfortable throughout. Chef Floyd Cardoz made his way to our table to insure that everything was in order. I think the chef has made a wise decision in switching over to the new concept on offer at Bombay.

We had one beer, one glass of wine and then a bottle of wine with our meal. It clocked in at $149, a fair price. Another nice thing they have done at Bombay is put very reasonably priced wines on their menu. Gentle prices generally equal full tables.

Other than the fast pace of the dishes (which can be mitigated) we have no doubt that Bombay will be a roaring success.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Special visit for me personally as I had "almost Pastry chef" share the table with me
The ambiance is very close home- I mean Indian, especially the wall painting of the Indian woman, the yellow flower garlands..

The spicy chilli chicken kept its promise and was HOT and spicy.

Loved the twist to the names of the dishes.
We ordered saag paneer pizza - or the makke di roti and sarso ka saag with goat cheese. Was Very mild.

The best was the dessert.

My personal chef tells me it is gulabjamun in old monk simple syrup, pistachio cremeux and candieed pistachio. (Too much education ) . And all of this looks like a donut. That was yummmmm!!!! Lovely !!

Reviewed 6 March 2018

When I visited Paowalla,I liked it a lot. So, on a Saturday. I made reservation for a party of 3 at 6:15 pm. The setup is still the same but it has newly decorated murals and the menu is more small plates style.
When we arrived, the restaurant was already crowded but we were promptly seated.I ordered a beer and my wife a glass of wine.
For food, we ordered Garlic Naan,Mango Chutney,Leek and Potato Paratha,Bombay Bhelpuri ,Black Pepper Shrimp,Tandoori Octopus,Lamb “Haleem” Curry,Bengali Roasted Baby Carrot Salad.
The food was all very tasty and beautifully spiced. However, I found garlic naan rather drab. Also, food comes out fast and furious. The service is efficient and polite.
Only time we had some respite from fast serving, when we ordered cappuccinos and teas. It was quite a change.
I will definitely return.

1  Thank Sankarmukh