“We must have been lucky”
Review of Statue Cruises

Statue Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: No visit to the New York City area is complete without a trip to one of the world’s most famous historical landmarks – The Statue of Liberty Historical Monument and Ellis Island Immigration Museum. Statue Cruises offers departures throughout the day from both New York and New Jersey for the convenience of out-of-town visitors and local residents alike.
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Having read all the reviews I was terrified tbh! But either we were really lucky or Statue Cruises have altered their way of working as we literally sailed through the reserve queue and were in and out of security and on ferry in less than ten minutes.
We booked online and reserved a pedestal spot about 6 weeks before our trip and I would say it's the only way to do it as the other queue was HORRIFIC.
Save yourself the horror and book online. Crown tickets are booked up months in advance so unless you're really organised you won't grab one but the view from the pedestal is grest plus you get access to the raised area at the foot of the statue to get stunning pics but without all the crowds.
Staff were busy but not unprofessional in my opinion. Yes there are big crowds that like on and off the ferries and you are likely to be standing but the trip is fairly short so shouldn't really trouble you that much.
Plan ahead. Don't take a big bag. We just had a purse and camera. You will go through airport style security so be prepared to take off belts etc just as you would at airport.
The statue herself is amazing up close. Well worth the visit and the slight queues. But do book on advance and skip the horrid queues.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 295)
All reviews
"ticket office"
in 15 reviews

82 - 86 of 1 295 reviews

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

If you want to do one of the most iconic New York attractions then bite the bullet and take the plunge. Here’s our thoughts on the experience.

Firstly it’s very very busy. Be prepared to not enjoy your own space the whole day. There are screaming kids, pushy queue jumpers, excited school groups....the whole works. If you are claustrophobic perhaps think again.

Book online as this means your security queue is shorter, but be prepared to queue all day anyway. The non prebooked security queue was 2.5 hrs the day we visited in June, at around midday.

From start to finish all staff are unfriendly and somewhat rude. When you are in a large crowd a smile and welcome would go a long way. However you are treated more like cattle for the day than humans. The will call lady wasn’t helpful and obviously hated her job. Security told me I couldn’t use my phone despite everyone else doing so. The people getting you on and off the boat bark at you all day.
And you have to go through security again inside the statue despite just going through 15 mins before on shore.

On the plus side the statue is amazing. Crown was sold out (book way in advance) but the pedestal was great and your photos should be worth it all. We found space on the boats to get photos so don’t stress too much on board there are plenty of vantage points.
Ellis Island is interesting but again you have to funnel on and off the boat so we were a bit over it by the time we visited.

We are glad we’ve done it once, but unless they work out a more seamless way to make you feel human and make the day run better then it’s not worth the stress to come back.

1  Thank Spency83
Reviewed 10 June 2018

We arrived at 8:30am and as we'd pre-booked our standard tickets, we didn't have to wait in the ticket queue. The actual time on our tickets didn't seem to matter.
The queue going through security was also relatively short at that time in the morning.
At time of booking (mid May), pedestal access was booked until mid July, crown access was booked until mid September.
The free audio tours for Liberty and Ellis Island are worthwhile and very informative.
Definitely a worthwhile trip, but I'd say the earlier you can get to the Islands, the better. That of course could depend on whether you have set times for pedestal/crown access. The arriving boats were very busy by the time we were leaving.

1  Thank PhantomFlanFlinger
Reviewed 9 June 2018

I only gave 3 stars due to the attitude of the staff. We booked our ticket for 9 am and I was told that the boat leaves 20 to 9. Then we were herded into the waiting area and been told the quicker we get on the boat quicker the staff can go home. Not very friendly... and this seemed to be the theme throughout. The boat left as soon as we got herded on and by 8.30 we were on the island. We found our way to the pedestal, with two staff standing around and telling us to wait. Then a couple of people came down from the crown and one of the staff started talking to them. I got up to get ready to go up as no one told us what to do. Then he stood in my way and asked if he could help. I said we would like to go up. I seems very unorganised which is such a shame as it was really moving. The staff up in the crown were friendly and helpful.

Advise to the staff - if you don't tell people what to do, don't treat them like idiots....

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 June 2018

Once we decided to go the Statue and Ellis Island, we checked out this company's website. We decided to book our tickets in advance instead of using our attraction pass to avoid a long standby line - our ticket time was 12:00, which I assumed meant that we would be on the 12:00 departure. How wrong I was...

When we got directed to the "Reserved" line, I was surprised that the people in front of us had 11:00 tickets, and it was already 11:30. No matter - everyone with any ticket time seemed to be welcomed into our line. The standby line was actually shorter than the reserved line. That was my first clue that things were not working as I expected. The wide line was forced down to a set of double doors to then go through security. The security check was busy, and went OK, but there were not separate lineups for each departure time - it seems the reserved and standby line all merged together in one huge line. Thankfully it was not too busy (which is why this review is 2 stars), and we got on the 12:20 departure.

We had to lineup again en masse to get to Ellis Island, and then to get back to Battery Park.

My main complaint is this: if you are going to sell a ticket with a time on it, you should make sure that your patron is guaranteed to be on that specific boat. We had an attraction pass, and I would have used it if I had known that I would be in the same lineup as the Reserved tickets - I would just have made sure to be there early, as everyone is treated equally after going through security. It sure makes you feel like you were taken advantage of...

Recommendation: don't bother buying in advance - get there as early as possible and just buy a same day ticket (or use your pass). ONLY purchase an advance ticket if you want a pedestal or crown ticket (one month before for pedestal and 5-6 months before for crown).

Note: This does not include my ratings of the Statue of Ellis Island.

1  Thank BigDaddy777