“A let down”

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$25,00*
and up
The Museum of Modern Art Admission with...
Ranked #18 of 1 195 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, The Museum of Modern Art is home to the world's greatest collection of modern and contemporary art. The collection includes Vincent van Gogh's "The Starry Night" and Andy Warhol's "Gold Marilyn Monroe," along with works by Jackson Pollock, Jasper Johns, Cindy Sherman, Elizabeth Murray, and many other great artists of our time. MoMA's collection also showcases photography, film, architecture, design, media, and performance art. Visitors can also enjoy shopping and fine and casual dining options.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided to visit MoMA on our first trip to NYC. My brother really wanted to see Starry Night by Van Gogh. We went on a free Friday night expecting a huge crowd of people and long lines. In reality, we encountered the opposite. We walked right up to the ticket counter and received our tickets and checked our bags in. We went to the 5th floor first since that is where Van Gogh's work is. We enjoyed seeing all of the artwork on the 5th floor, but that's it. All of the other artwork was extremely underwhelming. Needless to say, we were very glad we didn't spend $25 a person because that would have been a waste of money. We were all very disappointed upon leaving the museum. The staff were also extremely rude. I went to have a picture taken of me next to a painting that I liked (I was not touching it, I was standing in front of a blank wall) and a security guard yelled at me to step away and then talked to my mom and I about "being responsible" like we were both 5 year olds. The lack of interesting and historical art was the biggest let down of all, however. On our next visit to the city, we will 100% go to the Met instead. Only go here for the 5th floor!

Write a ReviewReviews (15 815)
All reviews
"rainy day"
in 98 reviews

69 - 73 of 15 817 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Did a day trip here and spent almost a full day wandering around checking out the exhibitions. Huge range of different artists and art on show - was really fantastic. Definitely don't miss a visit here!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’m not an art enthusiast in the strict sense of the term, but I decided to visit the museum to learn/explore something new. And have no regrets. In terms of exposing you to modern art forms, this is a great place! I was there with my 6-year-old son and am happy to say that enjoyed the experience as well. There’s a mix of art works by the masters as well as newer artistes here, which is, again, great for someone like me trying to understand modern art.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

On a Saturday in June this museum was crazy crowded but still an essential stop on the NYC museum circuit. The permanent collection contains familiar must-see masterpieces while the changing exhibits are innovative and thought-provoking. Well worth plowing through the crowds.