8 people are viewing this hotel
US$157
Free cancellation until 21/06/26
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Expedia.comUS$156
Lol.travelUS$186
Reviews (1 460)
1 460 results
All reviews old town shuttle driver sea world local attractions mission valley bit dated balboa park zoo downtown poolside conference
Selected filters
1 - 6 of 1 460 reviews
Reviewed 10 September 2020

The service here is amazing!! ♥ Friendly staff, always greets you when they are walking by. Super clean and just feels like at home. My family and I truly enjoyed our stay, can't wait to be back next week it was that great! We have stayed at many hotels but this particular one has become my favorite! If you book here make sure to try their piña coladas :D Thanks to all the Staff!

Leticia Garcia

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank Leticia G
Reviewed 8 September 2020 via mobile

I think this hotel is super ordinary and out of date and they charge you three times what it’s really worth to stay there. We stayed for one night, Sunday night, over a three day holiday weekend. The rate was $284 for a king bed. We didn’t have a balcony. We were shipped out to the second to last hotel room row in the parking lot. Mind you, this hotel is situated basically on the 5 freeway. Upon arriving, it took us 1 hr to check in to get our keys. Then when we finally got to our room, we found a slew of black hairs in the sink, and on the bed. This was such a turn off. Makes you wonder if they are actually cleaning the rooms after people check out during covid. The walls are paper thin, we could hear full conversations between people and their dogs barking or babies crying at night. Because there are no balconies, you encounter a lot of guests standing at the doors to the entrance of the hall smoking. Not a great feeling. I will say the bed was comfortable, that’s the only good thing about this place. Everything else was very very Motel 6. Small rooms, crappy soap and shampoo and conditioner bottles from unheard of brands. The parking was free during covid. No mini bar because of covid and no restaurants on site. The pool was super packed so we never went in. I’d never stay here again. We totally got swindled.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 715catherinek
Reviewed 31 August 2020

I first tried this hotel after I got married 5 years ago. It was ok the chicken wings in the hut by the pool were huge and a good value for poolside food. It was tropical an nice setting for after just getting hitched. I booked the Handlery again because our pools is still closed. It has one of the biggest pools that I know of. The room was clean they were able to a join my room to the kids room which was great. The staff was very friendly and pleasant. The rooms were spacious and clean the bathrooms were a little small but no biggy. We stayed in the La jolla building. It was a fun quick stay cation for me and the kids. The only downfall was all the people in the pool at one time. You would have thought it was spring break. But my kids knu to social distance and who to talk to and who not to because they were intoxicated. They should really control the pool a little better. Other than that our stay was great. I totally agree this place is a hidden gem in the middle of mission valley. I will be back...alone this time :)

Date of stay: July 2020
1  Thank 476sharah
Reviewed 4 May 2020

The staff was very pleasant and helpful.I think there are a few easy fixes that would make your nice establishment not look like you are running on a low budget: There was nice lemon water in the water on our arrival - not to be seen again on our 3 other days. No complimentary coffee (& breakfast muffins) in the lobby. The coffee had no taste and packed no punch. Much too weak. And those teensy tiny mints? You'd look less cheap to have none at all.
The water in the room was $2.50 per bottle (!) The only elevator is to accomodate staff! So - if you are disabled and there is nothing on the first floor- there is no access to the elevator for the 2nd floor. I am scheduled for knee replacement. That was no small climb!
When we came for the Ecotours we were told to "wait in the lobby" We were strung out in both lobby sections. Then our meeting was in the snack room - standing in front of loud machines, listening to a person with a heavy accent. [I was surprised to see no brochures about Ecotours - since it seems they bring you lots of business. And all the empty conference rooms! - we only needed 1/2 hour at dinner time.] Again, the staff was lovely. The beds were comfortable. I just thought you might appreciate our feedback.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank shirleyfR7734YR
928kirks, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2020

Dear shirleyfR7734YR; Thanks for your valuable input and comments regarding your stay with us! We do appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to pass your suggestions on to the staff. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return soon!

Reviewed 27 March 2020

The hotel facility is fairly ordinary - about what you would expect at the price point. However the staff really makes it shine. As the city shut down due to the onset of the Covid pandemic and the hotel's business was evaporating, and even as we canceled the rest of our own stay, the employees were unfailingly gracious and kind and went out of their way to make us comfortable. I would like to single out Lucy at the front desk as being exceptionally warm and helpful. If I had to find a fault with the Handlery, the one thing I could mention is the lack of either a ramp or a lift to the second floor, which would have made it a bit awkward with heavy luggage had an accommodating employee not been right there to give us a hand.

Room tip: No elevator or ramp to second floor, so if you have heavy bags you might need to grab an employee to help you lug them up the stairs.
Date of stay: March 2020
2  Thank Diver D
928kirks, General Manager at Handlery Hotel San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2020

Dear Diver D; Thanks for the kind words and comments about your stay with us! We greatly appreciate your feedback too! I'll be sure to p[ass on to Lucy your thanks, as well as mine for her efforts! Thanks for choosing to stay at the Handlery Hotel and we hope to see you back here in the near future!