Reviews (4 088)
2 440
1 243
2 440
1 243
All reviews casa del mar building blue wave fishing pier navy ships point loma junior suite walking path water view hotel restaurant tennis courts hot tub full kitchen short drive close to the airport sea world coffee maker the san diego area
94 - 99 of 4 088 reviews
Reviewed 15 July 2018

Myself, my husband & daughter stayed here for 4 nights in June and we couldn't fault it. The rooms were lovely, great maid service, we ate here all the time we were there and you couldn't fault the food. The bar & waitresses were friendly and helpful, fabulous heated pool and it's in a beautiful location on Shelter Island. We had a marina to the back of us and palm trees at the front which housed a group of gorgeous wild green parrots! i would dealry love to go back here, this hotel certainly ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank CardiffTazzie
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed in one of the hotel' "suite" rooms with water view for three nights last week. Keep in mind that this is an older hotel. For some weird reason the rooms don't have balcony's overlooking the water, the deck is on the side of the room, where the stairs come up between the buildings so your view is obstructed. The rooms do not have central air conditioning, just window boxes, which are very loud and pretty inefficient. It is quite cold right nest to the window but the AC does not cool the rest of the room. It was really hot when we were there so it made sleeping uncomfortable.
The suite rooms are laid out strange, to get to the bathroom one had to walk through the bedroom. Had I known that I would not have booked a suite. Also, don't expect much from the "kitchen". Basically a refrigerator and sink with very minimal kitchen equipment. The hotel didn't even give us paper towels, and only 3 plates and small glasses.
The rooms show a lot of wear and tear, broken roof tiles, carpets are old, paint is scratched and peeling on doorways, furniture is chipped, etc.

My biggest complaint has to do with some service that we requested, instead of bringing us a blanket for the pull out couch ( which was super uncomfortable and squeaky) they brought us NINE pillowcases. My poor daughter woke up in the middle of the night very cold because she was next to the AC, and only had the nine pillowcases to keep her warm. I called the manager about this and he/she has never returned my call.
PROS- great location and nice staff.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Bubba6
Spencer P, Manager at Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. While I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our location and found our staff to be friendly, I apologize for the issues you faced and regret that we did not meet your expectations in several areas. I'm glad we were able to speak with you regarding these issues and apologize again for our mistake in delivering the wrong items when you requested an extra blanket.

We want to provide the necessary quality and amenities for our guests to enjoy an outstanding visit, and we work hard to keep our rooms and property updated and in good working order. I'm sorry this was not reflected in your recent stay. I hope you will consider staying with us again sometime so we can help provide you with an outstanding experience in every way.

Spencer Priest
Front Desk Supervisor
(619) 222-0561

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Read great reviews of this place. The location looked unique, being on Shelter Island, a nice quiet area. The hotel backs onto a marina, has a pool and restaurant area also overlooking the marina. The lobby is very tropical and welcoming, as well as the staff. Our room was a wonderful suite overlooking the marina as well. The unit was very spacious and clean, with a nice large bathroom for the family. We needed 2 queen beds which this unit had. We also had a great breakfast at the restaurant that was reasonably priced and served large portions. Very happy and would definitely come back here.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Humidor
Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

Wow!!! What a gem this hotel is, in a great location. Close to airport and the main harbour. The hotel is lovely and the marina view rooms where just gorgeous!

The staff were really helpful and the service was great. The rooms were spotless and the food in the Resturaunt was good too.

We drove Across to La Jolla cove and also Coronado - both great Locations to visit

We also took the whale watching cruise - a must see! Not to mention USS Midway- don’t miss them both!

We fell in love with San Diego and will definitely be back. When we do we are staying here again!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NickyM467
Reviewed 11 July 2018

On this visit we stayed in a double queen Jr. Suite. I got there at 12pm and check in was at 4pm. I called the hotel in advance to ask if I could check in early and they said they would call me if that was possible. 30 minutes later I got a call that my room was ready. When I checked in I was extremely happy with my view! This was a nice place to stay and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends