Reviews (2 242)
2 242 results
1 227
1 227
All reviewswine hourpetco parkgaslamp districtjsix restaurantwine receptionconvention centerpool areamini barfree happy hourfourth floorrooftop barthe gas lamp districtevery eveningrestaurants and barsovernight parkingvalet parkingper night
38 - 43 of 2 242 reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2018

Enjoyed a three night stay at the Kimpton Solamar hotel in early July (over the 4th of July holiday).

All the staff we encountered were great - very friendly, helpful and professional.

Whilst we found all parts of the hotel to be extremely clean and comfortable - common areas, lobby, rooms, pool - it does feel like it is ready for a refurb. This didn't detract from our stay in any way though.

We enjoyed the elevated pool area and bar on several occasions and absolutely loved the social hour - complimentary wines and beers and hors d'oeuvres - fantastic.

We were over from the UK, so didn't have our dogs with us, but loved seeing all the other guests with their dogs. Particularly loved the hotel dog. No sign of pets having stayed in our room though, so I don't think it would be an issue if pets/dogs aren't your thing.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Or if I have. I used to really love staying at Kimptons when I traveled for work, but the Solamar and the Eventi both fell flat for me.

This hotel is fine, but that's all it is. Location is great and the room was clean and functional. That said, I found the whole place charmless and dark, without the details I used to love in a Kimpton. I do love that dogs are welcome. Always improves a stay to see a pup in the lobby!

I had been looking forward to booking a Masters Suite after seeing the photos on the web site. The room is spacious but was very dark. The bathroom was luxurious but impractical. What is the point of a decadent tub when you have to climb all the way into it to close the drain or if you want to pull up the bathroom window shade? The room service breakfast was also just fine. I thought scrambled eggs were a safe bet but they were nearly inedible, and the toast arrived without butter.

None of these things amount to anything terrible. It was a smooth stay. But for the amount I paid for the suite, I could have gone back to the Pendry across the street and that's what I'll do on my next San Diego stay.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed in San Diego for a 3 day weekend. This place had great customer service and the rooms were very clean!! The pool was always packed so it’s hard to get a chair or even a towel so if you want to hang by the pool all day you will have to get there early.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank tabi_that79
Devin M, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience! Good news for next time.... additional pool chairs are on order as well as a larger pool towel cabinet. Come back soon and check it out! Thank you again.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

The hotel looks cool and new but the room is not well functioned. Room smelled very bad like chemical spray. Bedding were cheap. Water was dripping all day long. Toilet paper smells bad. Amenity were empty.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What good is looking the part if you can't back it up!? Having a fully functioning and clean room is a basic expectation that we should be able to provide without question. We are disappointed that we let you down! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me prior to your next trip to San Diego. I'd love to prove that we are better than this!

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I have stayed at Kimpton's often. This one has a great location near San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. Great and Accomidating Staff. I had a balcony room with large patio. Hotel is dog friendly as well. Fun and lively place to stay.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, schneiderdw! Happy to hear your stay was a success! Glad to hear we are keeping your Kimpton streak alive...