Reviews (2 251)
2 251 results
1 233
1 233
All reviews wine hour petco park gaslamp district jsix restaurant wine reception convention center pool area mini bar free happy hour fourth floor rooftop bar the gas lamp district every evening restaurants and bars overnight parking valet parking per night
48 - 53 of 2 251 reviews
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Or if I have. I used to really love staying at Kimptons when I traveled for work, but the Solamar and the Eventi both fell flat for me.

This hotel is fine, but that's all it is. Location is great and the room was clean and functional. That said, I found the whole place charmless and dark, without the details I used to love in a Kimpton. I do love that dogs are welcome. Always improves a stay to see a pup in the lobby!

I had been looking forward to booking a Masters Suite after seeing the photos on the web site. The room is spacious but was very dark. The bathroom was luxurious but impractical. What is the point of a decadent tub when you have to climb all the way into it to close the drain or if you want to pull up the bathroom window shade? The room service breakfast was also just fine. I thought scrambled eggs were a safe bet but they were nearly inedible, and the toast arrived without butter.

None of these things amount to anything terrible. It was a smooth stay. But for the amount I paid for the suite, I could have gone back to the Pendry across the street and that's what I'll do on my next San Diego stay.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

We stayed in San Diego for a 3 day weekend. This place had great customer service and the rooms were very clean!! The pool was always packed so it’s hard to get a chair or even a towel so if you want to hang by the pool all day you will have to get there early.

Stayed: July 2018
1  Thank tabi_that79
Devin M, General Manager at Kimpton Solamar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience! Good news for next time.... additional pool chairs are on order as well as a larger pool towel cabinet. Come back soon and check it out! Thank you again.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

The hotel looks cool and new but the room is not well functioned. Room smelled very bad like chemical spray. Bedding were cheap. Water was dripping all day long. Toilet paper smells bad. Amenity were empty.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

What good is looking the part if you can't back it up!? Having a fully functioning and clean room is a basic expectation that we should be able to provide without question. We are disappointed that we let you down! Please don't hesitate to reach out to me prior to your next trip to San Diego. I'd love to prove that we are better than this!

Reviewed 8 July 2018

I have stayed at Kimpton's often. This one has a great location near San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter. Great and Accomidating Staff. I had a balcony room with large patio. Hotel is dog friendly as well. Fun and lively place to stay.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, schneiderdw! Happy to hear your stay was a success! Glad to hear we are keeping your Kimpton streak alive...

Reviewed 4 July 2018

Stayed two nights in July, in a so-called Virtuoso Suite. The room was honestly not much bigger than a standard room, and when the sofa bed for our kid was out, we could barely move around. Sound proof walls? Not at all. Bring ear-plugs if you are a light sleeper. 49 USD per day for parking is on the rather stiff side, when you can park a block down for 15 USD. Props for great breakfast in the restaurant on the corner. The hotel is, after our European standard, not much of a "chic boutique hotel", and we strongly advise families to stay elsewhere (lots of partying and noice at night). Had to wait until 4:30 PM to get our room, and it took them two reminders and 1,5 hours to make up the sofa bed, so our kid finally could get to sleep at 10:30 PM. The AC in the room is useless, since the fan blows the air straight onto the bed. So you are guaranteed to get a cold if you keep it on at night. Considering the room rate, we expected much more of the Kimpton Solamar. Five-star price for three-star product.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank EL_Oslo

Well this certainly isn't the sentiment we are aiming for, but I appreciate the candid feedback. We always try to accommodate early check-in, but by 4pm, we should be able to have your keys ready to go. Our standard to meet just about any request is 20-minutes... so 1.5 hours is definitely a miss on our part. I will review this review with our team and make sure that the measures we have in place to prevent experiences like this are working. Thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts on your stay!