“Not your average trail ride”

Horse Back Riding San Diego
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We rode with Chuy on a Friday starting around 10AM. The whole ride took just over 2 and a half hours tough we could have stayed on the beach if we chose to do so.

First, I've been on probably a dozen trail rides in my life, and this one was the best because you're riding with the owner, and you're actually riding. This is a ranch that does trail rides as a side business not a trail ride business. The horses are well trained and have good temperament, but they are not your normal nose-to-butt old nags that you'll find at some places. THIS IS A GOOD THING. You actually get to ride a horse not a mule...

Second, our group (my family) was diverse in riding experience. My 13 year old daughter rides a lot, and she was able to ride ahead and gallop on the beach. She hasn't stopped smiling, by the way. My 15 year old son doesn't ride much (a few trail rides) nor does he like it much, and he was able to go at a slower pace. My wife and I were in-between with a little trotting here and there. But, even trotting is quite an experience if you're not an avid rider!

Finally, if you don't get a response from the website...CALL. Chuy will answer. I'm guessing he's more of a phone in his pocket while he rides a horse guy than a sitting at a desk answering e-mail guy. Chuy does reservation only, one ride a day. He'll work around your schedule.

1  Thank Ryan S
in 5 reviews
"information"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Perfect experience for a very experienced riders!
We called last minute for a ride and Chuy organized a 3h ride for us the same day.
We had an amazing time, with well trained, well behaved, well taken care of horses.
We were able to galop and Chuy made sure we had the best experience possible. He gave us a lots of informations about the area, talked about his experience and answered all our questions.
He is a real professional, loves his horses and his job.
For sure it is a little pricy especially if you are coming from Europe, but it is worse it (100$ for about 3h ride)
We really got what we came for and are very thankful we got to meet Chuy and his fabulous horses

1  Thank HeleneLP
Reviewed 20 June 2017

I took my Navy friend horseback riding at Pony Land. He never touched or sat on a horse. We had an amazing guide who took really great care of us. After an hour ride through the park - we arrive at the beach. It was just beautiful! I would definitely going back there.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

I usually don't do reviews but because this was my first time booking horseback riding, I wanted to share my experience so please bear with me. As titled, I was a little bummed out about our reservation with Blanco Brother's Ranch. Two weeks prior to our trip to San Diego, I had done some research on different horseback riding places and compared their prices. Blanco Brother's Ranch had the best offer which was a private 3 hours ride for $100 per person. There was four of us and the price was in our budget. I also saw great reviews, so I called and spoke with "Chewy" who seems to be the guy everyone has been rating about. He seems very friendly over the phone and asked me a few questions, particularly how much the riders weigh and if this was our first time on horses. I was really bad at estimating my husband and brother's weight so I told him they were probably around 250 - 280 pounds. He seemed a little concerned and said that the horses will be fine but 3 hours might be a challenge for my husband and brother, if they were really that big. So I told him I'll call back with a more accurate estimate. I called the next morning and confirmed that they only weigh 200 lbs each. So we laughed about it, and he asked again if we were beginners. I told him we were beginners and he said it wasn't a problem. So he booked us for Sunday at 4 PM. He didn't take down any other information except for my name and ask that I call back on Saturday night to confirm.

On Saturday, as soon as we arrived in San Diego, I called him to confirm the reservation. It was then that he sounded a little unsure and asked me the same questions again (our weight and experience). I confirmed with him that the heaviest in our group was 200 lbs and we were all beginners. I asked him a few questions about attire and what to expect, then he said that we were good to go and he'll see us tomorrow at 4 PM.

On Sunday, the plan was to go to the San Diego Zoo and then head straight to the ranch. We were all really excited. As we arrived at the zoo, I saw a missed call from Chewys number, but I couldn't call him right away because we were boarding the tour bus. When we got off the bus, he called me again and I picked up. He apologized and said that there was a family emergency he needed to take care of and that he wouldn't be able to take us on our ride. At that moment, I was a little speechless but tried to understand the situation. He kept apologizing and said he spoke with a friend at Happy Trails Ranch and they were willing to accommodate us, but I needed to call and ask for their trail details and prices. I gave them a call right away but they had very different trails and the price was a lot higher for the time we had wanted with the horse. So we decided that it was best to cancel horseback riding for this trip.

I wish the best for him and his family and hope that everything was okay. But overall, as a customer, I still felt really bummed out. I give them 3 stars for flexibility and effort for getting another ranch to accommodate. I wished they had a cancellation policy or just a little more structure to the reservation process. Additionally, it sounds like Chewy is the only person doing these rides on the ranch, so if he cannot make it, then you'll have to cancel the trip. Honestly, he seemed like a really nice guy, so I would definitely try to book with him again and hopefully we will get to ride.

2  Thank Pang V
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

On our american holiday i wanted to go horse riding as i hadn't been in 10 years. My partner had never ridden without a trail rope.
Oh my god we had the best experience. By far the highlight. I cannot tell you how well trained these horses are. I have never seen such quality. The owner was fantastic and catered the ride to us both. I went running along the beach while he looked after matt. I trotted around everywhere. Matt had a great time i had a great time. We saw other trail rides which were in bigger groups obviously tailored to beginners. And i thanked my lucky stars i didnt pick them.
I wrote this review because they dont have many reviews and i think they really deserve more. Do yourself a favour and go for a ride!!