“amazing ramen”

Underbelly
Ranked #238 of 5 192 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Only 8 months old so fairly new. Located in Little Italy neighborhood of San Diego CA.
Reviewed 26 April 2018

I travel for work very often, (flight attendant), and EVERY single time I am in San Diego I make sure I come here. The ramen is so flavorful, the location is great and right in the middle of downtown, the vibe is chill and fun, great beer selection, and great service. Nothing to complain about with Underbelly, definitely check it out next time you're in SD and you will not regret it.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Great Service. Cool architect. Fantastic food. Sip straight from the bowl. Sit outside or inside or upstairs. The ramen is fresh, the buns are sweet, and selection is good. We stopped by because the sign was funny "reasonably authentic". I am so glad we did. At the entrance there is a wall of plants. Look up for the sign and odd statue. The stair case, separate tables, and community benches near the bar has seating for everybody. Follow the directions and then prepare for an outstanding meal. With all the interesting alcohol and tea I opted for Squirt soda because it is hard to find in restaurants. A nice variety of condiments are on all the tables. I loved that the egg was soft boiled. Once I opened it a wonderful yoke spilled onto my broth. The kimchee was sweet with a hint of awesomeness.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

I had the pork belly burgers there, along with a beer, and both were really good. The beer in particular was a really unique offering, and really went well with the burgers. The bartender who took my order was friendly and provided some good information on the food available.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

I was hesitant at first due to previous reviews about not having spoons. But apparently they provide spoons now so I lucked out. It was pretty good ramen, it was filling. The bun was good too. Worth a stop.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

Call me a ramen snob but hey, I come from San Gabriel Valley. The Good: oxtail dumplings, bomb! The Bad: minimalist approach, no spoons, bowl slurping... c’mon I am with a customer AND don’t want to ruin my shirt. The Ugly: the Tonkotsu broth was just blah. It was sticky so I know they made it with bones but definitely something missing. I say it’s better to be good than flashy.