“Hip Vietnamese Restaurant ”
Review of Mignon Pho + Grill

Mignon Pho + Grill
Ranked #966 of 5 242 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Mignon is a modern Vietnamese restaurant. Great food and excellent service is what we're about. Our dining area is clean and we can easily accommodate groups of up to 80 guests. We offer a variety of season inspired dishes. Complement your meal with refreshing cocktails, wine, and 8 draft beers.
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

This is your modern day Vietnamese restaurant, concrete floors, exposed piping, chalkboard beer menu, mood lighting ( thank god it's not the horrible fluorescent lights), hipster music and English speaking servers, the menu is a thin pamphlet with high quality photos from Vietnam, nice touch. I ordered the crepe dish with chicken and corn, it has the crispy ness I liked but I think because I got chicken and corn, it was a little mushy. The fixing for it are butter lettuce and mint only, normally it should have cucumbers, pickled carrots, cilantro and sawtooth coriander. My husband got the bun bo hue soup, it didn't have the blood cake, and it was too sweet, we needed sate to spice it up. We eat this type of food that's home cooked often so it's ok for what it is. For the new foodies trying it, they will appreciate it.
Ambiance: 5
Food Quality: 3.5
Price: $$
Location: 5
Parking: 5
Service: 5

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Cute mom n pop spot off the 163.

I like the casual ambience when you first walk in. Decor is plain, simple and relaxing. The staff are quite friendly and funny. They are willing to give a few pointers on what to order or how to order. Best question ever is, What are you craving?

If you don't know how to use chopsticks, no worries they will help or you have the option to use a fork and spoon.

Food: I tried the Grilled ribeye pho $10. They use a beef broth that's not too spicy and it's gluten free. The grilled ribeye is tender, juicy with a slight hint of sweetness. There's an option for the spicy broth, just beware it has seasonings that contain shellfish. You can also create your own pho for $9.25 but it adds up with any additional sides you add to it, such as a hard boiled egg etc.

Pho is great hangover food, great for a sick day or just because.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

The aesthetics of this place - the menu, the decor, etc. -- scream interesting and original. I really wanted to love it, but the food was competently executed but ultimately unremarkable Vietnamese. Perhaps we good an Americanized version, as it didn't quite feel like the elusive "real thing"

Reviewed 1 June 2017

Came in on Wed, May 31st around 21:30 (9:30pm). It was not too crowded for 6 of us. The server gave us plenty of time in picking our orders. I ordered the Bún bò Huế. Most of my friends ordered the rice portion of the food.
Bún bò Huế was good. I felt that they give a good size portion of noodles and beef to soup. The bowl size also looks a bit larger than some of the other Vietnamese restaurants I go to. It looked spicy, but I was able to eat it without a problem. I was surprised that there was no pig blood. I did not recall eating one. I couldn't tell how my soup base tasted like because the spice blurs my taste buds. I can say that I enjoyed and liked the food. I wonder if they even put any MSG, because I did not taste any thanks to the spice. My friends who ordered rice items looked happy too. (A side note to myself: I probably would order extra rice because that amount of rice is way too little for me to get full).
Now some memorable moments: the servers were very attentive to our needs. It is nice because we came at a time where it was not as busy so it was easy to get their attention. They were very attentive to refilling my water cup that I finished about 3 times. They was one server who asked us how was our day at work, which I think deserves some recognition. She seemed pretty and I did not expect her to be friendly.
The other memorable moment about this place is the environment. It feels nice being inside. The interior looks new and clean. The bowl and the plates also look clean. There were no visible cracks either. The server uniform looks nice and professional. I feel in a high end restaurant. It is so different from all the other pho restaurants I have been to. I also feel that the people who work here are passionate with their jobs and that they are very detail oriented.
As for payment, they can split checks up to 4 credit cards, but my friend decided to make their lives easier so I took the tab. Also a big plus is that they are open until 23:00 (11pm). From experience so far, most pho restaurants I go to close at 21:00 (9pm). Also, parking was not too hard to find as we came on a Wednesday and in the late evening hours.
One thing though, I felt the price was a bit high for pho when compared to other restaurants. $10 pho compared to $7-8 at other pho restaurants that I have been to. But if you think about it of the things I mentioned on my review, $10 is reasonable. This is why I give them my 5 stars rating because of the food being good, the service that we got, and the environment which makes it different from other pho/Vietnamese restaurants.

1  Thank nnviekie
Reviewed 10 May 2017

i was skeptical about this place seeing how clean and trendy this place looks, i thought to myself this is not real pho (probably americanized) and i bet it's going to expensive.

well i was wrong, it was good pho. However i was right that it was a little more expensive than other Pho places. $9.50 for a rare steak pho. i ordered their rare beef pho so that i can truly compare the broth and beef with my usual pho locations. Here the broth is darker and has a deeper taste, which is good. This is definitely a different region style of pho (north or south? i always forget which one has the dark broth.. i want to say north).

anyway, my husband ordered the ribeye pho and it was very good. that beef broth with the charred slices of ribeye were so aromatic you really don't need to put any garnishes because that broth alone is so good. If you put other herbs you'd take away the original flavor. For $10+ i can see myself ordering this again.

This pho also serves a selection of beer, has happy hour with a few good finger food to choose from. I was surprised they have raw oysters and scallops -- i didn't try it; wasn't sure how fresh they are. A bit strange for me to find oysters and scallops at a pho place.

other than that, yes i like this place but you won't find me at this location that often since i can always dine at other vietnamese restaurants for cheaper pho