Museum of Photographic Arts (MoPA)
Open today: Closed

from US$18,00
More Info
from US$18,00
More Info
All reviews love photography gift shop rotating exhibits balboa park on display photographs donation admission artists camera film lakes
Reviewed 26 March 2018

Visited for a private cocktail party and enjoyed the beautiful space and exhibit. I love art and spent more time than I expected enjoying the exhibit when I should have been networking at the party. The space is clean and contemporary compared to the external baroque façade of Balboa Park buildings.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

Generally, art can be described as being "beautiful" but only one or two images I saw in this museum could fit that description. The rest of the exhibits (aerial photos of the Mexico/US border area, fat naked man photos, naked woman rolling around on the floor with her children, suicide notes displayed on the marquees of dilapidated/derelict movie theaters, blurry photos of Mexico City) left me shaking my head. I would not recommend a visit to this museum. Museum store was nice. Just go there and call it a day.

1  Thank JAMA293
Reviewed 9 February 2018

My expectations are usually low when walking into a museum dedicated to photography, but the exhibits here were engaging, informative, and varied. In terms of art, I feel for photographers in terms how they will make art from their chosen medium... there are always a lot of "tricks" or exaggerations, and sometimes you wonder where the photography is. Like other exhibits, this had some of those qualities but I kept on looking and still found it all interesting and worth the time. As noted to me, admission is with donation, and it was suggested $5.00USD was the baseline - price seemed fair. The venue is not huge, but large enough to contain 3 scoped-out exhibits. Pretty good bookstore/shop if you want to check it out also.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

The art museum was closed, so we came here instead. I must admit that I am not really into photography, so this wasn’t my cup of tea. But honestly, for the price they charge, it wasn’t a huge museum. Not worth it to me.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

My favorite museum in San Diego. I love photography so this museum was great for me. Even if you're not a photography, check it out. I loved the Genesis exhibit. Admission is donation based which is also nice. Be sure to stop by the gift shop. They have some great polaroid and film cameras for sale.