“In Balck & White (Color too)”

Museum of Photographic Arts (MoPA)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$89,86*
and up
Go San Diego Card
Ranked #169 of 463 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum of Photographic Arts is one of the only museums in the country dedicated exclusively to the photographic arts, presenting work by some of the world's most celebrated photographers and cinematographers in its spacious new galleries and state-of-the-art 228 seat theater. MoPA is located in beautiful Balboa Park near downtown San Diego.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I rank the current show (June 2018) on the Bank of America's Collection as a must see at Balboa Park. Not only are the photos selected by Nancy Newhall for the original collector stunning but the history of photo collecting is covered as well. Admission is by donation, the museum shop carries fun items, and the building is a historic structure in Balboa Park.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"exhibited"
"lakes"

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Visited for a private cocktail party and enjoyed the beautiful space and exhibit. I love art and spent more time than I expected enjoying the exhibit when I should have been networking at the party. The space is clean and contemporary compared to the external baroque façade of Balboa Park buildings.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

Generally, art can be described as being "beautiful" but only one or two images I saw in this museum could fit that description. The rest of the exhibits (aerial photos of the Mexico/US border area, fat naked man photos, naked woman rolling around on the floor with her children, suicide notes displayed on the marquees of dilapidated/derelict movie theaters, blurry photos of Mexico City) left me shaking my head. I would not recommend a visit to this museum. Museum store was nice. Just go there and call it a day.

1  Thank JAMA293
Reviewed 9 February 2018

My expectations are usually low when walking into a museum dedicated to photography, but the exhibits here were engaging, informative, and varied. In terms of art, I feel for photographers in terms how they will make art from their chosen medium... there are always a lot of "tricks" or exaggerations, and sometimes you wonder where the photography is. Like other exhibits, this had some of those qualities but I kept on looking and still found it all interesting and worth the time. As noted to me, admission is with donation, and it was suggested $5.00USD was the baseline - price seemed fair. The venue is not huge, but large enough to contain 3 scoped-out exhibits. Pretty good bookstore/shop if you want to check it out also.