“Freedom Trail”

Ranked #2 of 419 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The red line on the sidewalk leads you on this 2.5-mile, self-guided tour of American Revolution sites. It starts at the Boston Common, America's oldest public park, and ends at the famed Bunker Hill Monument.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After 46 years I walked the Trail with guests from beginning to end. The experience never gets old and I learn something each time I walk it. The entire trip is about 2 1/2 miles but it takes you to some of Boston's most beautiful neighborhoods. A great jaunt with a purpose. You'll pass dozens of fine restaurants and cafes that will provide a respite during your day. If you don't feel like doing it all in one day, break it up and it's just as enjoyable.

Write a ReviewReviews (14 832)
All reviews
"great history"
in 186 reviews

175 - 179 of 14 832 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the highlights of our trip to Boston. Be sure to have ID with you or you won't be able to get on the USS Constitution. I left purse in hotel so I didn't have to trek it along and couldn't get through TSA line.

1  Thank mrshq1
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

While I am glad history is being preserved in Boston, I have to say they do it much more to my liking in Philadelphia. In Boston, historical venues are surrounded and dwarfed by large city buildings and the noise of a busy city -- it takes a LOT of imagination to picture it as it might have been in the 1770s. In Philadelphia, the entire area has been set aside and preserved, leaving it with a lot of original green space and keeping new city buildings separate from it. But, I digress. Kudos to Boston for keeping some history intact. We took the Revolutionary Story Tour with Mike, and it helped bring it to life.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Did ourselves without a guide which suited us as we could do at own pace

Red line disappeared in places though and in some cases split so it wasn’t clear which way to go. Recommend taking a map of route

1  Thank CakeMum
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family and I enjoyed the Freedom Trail and thought that it was very interesting. This was the first item on our agenda for our vacation to Boston. Not only was it informative, but it was great in orienting us to the city and we were able to use the landmarks to help us navigate around by foot. Our tour guide was very good at making sure that everyone had caught up before he began his next narrative. The tour itself is around an hour and takes you to most of the main historical attractions. It starts at Boston Common and ends at Faneuil Hall. We would not recommend it for smaller children or elderly folks who may have trouble keeping up as it does move at a pretty fast pace. Tips are appreciated at the end.