“Unique brunch offerings, tacos, burgers and more”
Review of The Friendly Toast

The Friendly Toast
Ranked #38 of 3 591 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Reviewed 11 November 2018

I ran across The Friendly Toast on Yelp when I was searching for a brunch spot within walking distance of our Boston hotel. I was offered the option to put my name on the waiting list through the Yelp app, so when we arrived a few minutes later, we were already checked in.

The restaurant is pretty small and apparently, quite popular. Even arriving after the lunch rush, we had a short wait. Fortunately, it wasn't too cold outside, because there is nowhere to stand inside. The hostess stand is right in front of the doorway, so people putting in their name or speaking to the hostess have no choice but to block the way for other people trying to enter and exit the restaurant. I would describe the overall atmosphere as loud and chaotic, which I'd normally hate. Fortunately, the food was very good.

There is a lot to choose from on the menu. In addition to a number of unique breakfast offerings, they also serve burgers, a variety of mac and cheese plates, tacos, sandwiches, wraps, soups, salads, and appetizers. I was struggling to choose between the meatloaf Eggs Benedict and the "Doughnut Stop Believin'" - a breakfast sandwich on french toasted donuts with scrambled eggs, sausage and cheddar, topped with powdered sugar and served with maple sour cream and strawberry habanero jam.

I opted for savory over sweet and while I do not at all regret my choice - the meatloaf was flavorful, the eggs were perfectly poached (and topped with sriracha), and the home fries were delicious - I do wonder what could have been if I had gone the other direction. My friend also enjoyed her chicken and waffles. If I'm ever near another Friendly Toast location, I'm definitely stopping in!

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

If you check in online 60-80 min ahead of time it is great. The 1 inch thick toast, amazing cheese grits and breakfast burritos. The breakfast here is worth the wait as long as the weather is not too bad.

Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

Visited Friendly Toast for breakfast and was super surprised with the menu.. tons of options ranging from eggs to pancakes waffles and even Mexican food.. lots of vegan options as well.. ordered the vegan blue berry pancakes and they were huge.. very flavorful and not at all lumpy like some vegan pancakes tend to be.. had lovely tater tots and fresh fruit salad.. very unique ambience .. good value for money in terms of portion sizes and fresh food

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

First visit! The place is tiny and hopping!!! Not much of a waiting area so be prepared to wait in the elements outdoors—especially if you have more than four people. Once seated service is pretty quick. Great creative HUGE menu w large portion sizes. Loved the libations ;). Kids loved the kids menu options.

Will absolutely return!!

Reviewed 1 November 2018 via mobile

We had breakfast here twice in a row on our trip to Boston and will come again!
The food is delicious, staff is very friendly and the location is absolutely cool.
Our server Diego was the best!
Thanks guys