“My favorite coffee shop”

Penny Cup Coffee Co
Ranked #10 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Asheville
Description: PennyCup is a small batch roaster in the River Arts District of Asheville NC. PennyCup at the Y.M.I. is our full service cafe in the heart of beautiful Downtown Asheville. We bake all of our own pastries, including gluten free and vegan options. We also make simple bagel sandwiches to order and sell our coffee by the pound.
Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

I live in Asheville and go to this Penny Cup about once a week. I like the Haw Creek location as well. Both have delicious coffee and good gluten free options (muffins, etc). The Market St location can serve their sandwiches on gluten free bread (I love the Greek Veggie). Angelina is a wonderfully friendly barista and has good suggestions about other things to do in the area.

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed 6 August 2018

Stopped in here on the recommendation of a local food blogger. We shared the french press for two and it was great. We went with the Mexican blend on the commendation of the barista/owner and he didn't steer us wrong. can really tell the owners care about the coffee and about the community they serve. worth a visit.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 27 July 2018

Decided to change up coffee destinations and visit the Penny Cup's downtown location (they also have location in River Arts District). Ask gentleman if their bagels were backed or boiled. He didn't answer but said in a seemingly annoyed way "most places are boiled". This may or may not be so but his attitude was gruff as it was with other questions regarding coffee choices.
Wife and I ordered cappuccino with almond milk. The foam was very frothy (versus a creamier froth from other barristas ). We did not enjoy and ask to substitute for regular black coffee, which they did without objection. Bagel was good. Wife ordered lox bagel. She said it was just ok.
Living downtown we think there are better choices, Izzys or High Five Coffee.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 5 July 2018 via mobile

Liked our first visit so much, we came back a second time. Good service. Great coffee and chai, both hot and iced. Excellent ginger biscotti.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

I’m here right now and I think their coffee is tasty. I got a soy latte and the temp was perfect. They give you two chocolate covered espresso beans with your drink. Casual atmosphere. My friend got a cortado and the granola and she enjoyed it. I’d recommend!

Date of visit: March 2018