All reviews japan town fillmore street shabu shabu yoga mat quiet area pacific heights balcony room wine hour great neighborhood fire pit front desk staff restaurants and shops rooms are large very pleasant stay complimentary wine boutique hotel bathroom door
Reviewed 6 March 2017

After reaching the hotel before check in, the staff were very friendly and more than willing to hold our bags. Its a 20 min walk to union square, the rooms are spacious, comfortable, clean and modern. Cannot speak more highly of the staff.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Thank you so much, bpolidoros! I'm glad that you loved the spacious and clean room, and of course the team here will be tickled pink by your comments regarding service! Thank you for taking the time to write, and hopefully we'll see you again.

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

Very nice room - had the feel of our own apartment. Very modern room. Repecption area was relaxing and offered free wine at Happy hour. Just about walking distance from Fisherman's Warf. Would recommend walking North along Van Ness to the harbour but defo take a taxi or bus ride home. Uber was helpful. Food in the hotel was limited so need to eat out.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Congrats on your new marriage, Jamie A, and thank you so much for visiting us for your honeymoon. It's great that you picked up on that residential "pied-a-terre" vibe that the designer was going for with our room renovations. The restaurant here, Mums, is not our own, but they are a sweet family tenant that has been here for about 41 years and they do offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner continuously throughout the day. Breakfast is available from 7am on the weekdays (7:30 weekends) and there are both Japanese and classic American diner options. I hope that helps! Perhaps we'll see you for your anniversary if not before ;).

Reviewed 2 March 2017

Let me first say, I love me some Kimpton. When possible, Kimpton is always my first choice when booking.

On the plus side for The Kimpton Buchanan was super fast and friendly check in and out. Our room was ready and clean and very comfortable- loved the bath products.
We did not experience hallway noise or long elevator waits.
The location was just perfect for our needs. Awesome to be able to walk everywhere we needed to go for the evening and next morning.
We had the rate that came with parking and liked to self park as opposed to wait for valet.
The wine/sake hour was very nice and the young lady who hosted was very good!
Had a blast with the other guests.

On the slightly disappointing side- maybe I have just been spoiled by the many other Kimptons, but some of the things we have come to enjoy about Kimpton were missing. Primarily the robes and mini bar credit. I totally get that this is a major first world problem and didn't exactly hamper our good time. . .but if you aren't going to provide those things, Hotel Buchanan, you might want to take them off of your website. Just sayin.

We still had a great time. Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamxoxo
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2017

Hi, Pamxoxo, and thanks so much for visiting us! I am so glad that everything from the location to the room cleanliness, quiet, and service all went so well and we just missed the mark on robes and minibar. For members of our Kimpton Karma Rewards program (and I am sure a fan like you must be one!), you should be receiving a Raid the Bar welcome tote as described in our pre-arrival email. Sorry it seems we overlooked that! As for the robes, they are by request at this hotel, so we'll have a look at the website and see about making sure any info tucked away on the various pages is accurate. Thanks for the heads up, and I'm glad it looks like you'll be back.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

I travel often throughout the country and this is one of the nicest hotels I have stayed at. GREAT customer service. Also, dog friendly and parking was right there and not expensive. Room was nice and clean. Had free wine dining at 5 each day - fun before taking a walk to dinner.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Emily G, General Manager at Kimpton Buchanan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2017

Thanks so much, Colleen A!

It's always a delight to read about these five-star experiences. We will thank the team for their all-caps "GREAT" customer service, and especially the housekeepers for the room cleanliness. Hope to see you next time!

Reviewed 27 February 2017

The staff were very friendly, there is no option for room service, yet the room smells like deep fried food from the restaurant below. There is so much hallway noise that we did not sleep at all, the shower temperature was extra hot or cold. The room temperature was the same, which made for no sleep.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business

Ryan H,
I am concerned to hear about this experience. Could please call me to discuss this at your convenience? This is not a typical situation, and I would love to learn more and clarify a couple of things. On the plus side, if I could also get the names of those friendly staff, then we can also recognize them for their great work! Thank you.